Shower chairs are ideal for persons who have poor balance or are unable to stand long. The shower chair is the best choice for them to be used as a resting place while taking a shower. It is a special chair for special use, so you should know how to use a shower chair for a more relaxing shower experience.
Things to Consider for a Safe Use of Shower Chair
There are different ways on how to use a shower chair. Whether it be used by the elderly or someone with mobility problems, there are a few considerations on how to use a shower chair safely.
- Accessibility. A shower chair can either be installed or placed on the floor to remove if not in use. If you are going to attach it to the wall, make sure it is easily accessible by the person who will be using it. Remember that the shower chair is given to them to provide stability and comfort as they clean themselves. It should be something that helps them, and not an additional burden to them.
- Safe Entry. Place the chair in a space where they can comfortably sit from outside of the shower area. Allow enough space for them to enter carefully. If the person needs additional support, you can install a railing around the chair that aids them in getting in and off the seat.
- Important things should be within reach. The user of the chair should at least has everything they need while they are using the chair. It will be dangerous for them to overreach things as they might slip or fall, resulting in a more serious injury. So, when installing the chair, make sure it is near to everything they need: shampoo, bath soap, towels.
- Consider User’s Experience. When deciding where to attach the chair or where to place it, you have to consider your own washing experience. Do you need the water to fall directly to you? If so, you have to set the chair to where you think it is appropriate to be placed based on your own experience.
Showering with the Shower Chair
People get a shower not only to clean themselves but also to make them feel relaxed. It is nice to be comforted with cold or hot water after a stressful long day. It can also be a good way to help you feel refreshed and calm. So, knowing how to use a shower chair offers you a more comfortable shower time.
The injured people or the elderly should experience the same comfort. And a shower must be an enjoyable experience for them too. Make this possible by installing the shower chair safely with these quick and easy steps:
- Place the shower chair in an area that provides stability. It should be placed somewhere it will not slip.
- Place a shower mat below the chair, so they don’t have to step on the wet surface. It can expose them to a possible falling hazard.
- Help them gather all they need, so they don’t have to keep standing while showering.
- If you are helping an injured or disabled person, make sure to monitor their movement. Lead them through the process, but make sure to allow enough space for privacy.
Keeping Shower Chair Safe to Use by Everyone
A shower chair can be used not only by the injured or disabled person in taking a shower, but also a comfortable device for everyone. So, you have to check the chair regularly, and its stability to prevent accidents. To learn how to use a shower chair, follow these simple steps:
- Most of the shower chairs have adjustable legs. You can adjust the height so users can sit and stand up easily.
- Make sure that the chair stands on a leveled surface and has stable contact with the floor.
- Place a slip-resistant mat beneath the chair, so it stays in place.
- Clear the area where the chair is placed. Remove small objects that can cause an imbalance of the chair.
- If you are sitting on the chair, make sure not to sit on the edge. Advice other users to do the same.
For safety reasons, you must not use the shower chair if your shower has a bathtub. It is only applicable to use when you have a flat surface for showering. Know more about Shower Chairs.
Showering provides comfort and relaxation. It can keep you calm after a tiring day. The use of a shower chair will add to your convenience in taking a shower. It can also be used if you have difficulty balancing and can help injured or disabled persons take a shower comfortably. So, make sure you know how to use a shower chair for a more enjoyable showering process.