Even with the advancement of technology where people depend on the internet, there are still some homeowners who use mailboxes. You can see these mailboxes placed mostly near the gate or entrance of the houses. Nowadays, these are used to put not only letters but also parcels, newspapers, and book subscriptions. And to prevent the mails and parcels from being taken by others, homeowners usually lock it. But sometimes, since it is not used all the time, the key for it might get lost. That is why you should learn how to unlock a mailbox lock.
Different Types of Mailboxes
Before you start learning how to unlock a mailbox lock, you familiariz yourself with the different types of mailboxes. You will be surprised to know that some are not entirely secure, and others have tight locks that are complicated and not easy to bypass. Here are the most commonly used boxes:
- Roadside Mailbox. This type of mailbox is designed to be placed along the road, hence the name. This is the simplest mailbox type. It allows the postman to simply drop the mail without the need for them to leave their vehicles. This is supported by a pole that is cemented directly into the ground. This type of mailbox can have either one opening facing the road or two openings in the front and back.
- Apartment Mailbox. This mailbox is installed in an apartment to serve the residents of the building. It is usually placed on the ground of the building near the entrance. This type often comes in a group and directly installed on the wall. Most of the apartment mailboxes are equipped with locks. It could either be a padlock or a combination. Though the tenants do not own the boxes, the locks are still placed to ensure the tenants’ security of the mails and parcels.
- Collection Mailbox. This type of mailbox has a small slot that is enough for a mail to pass. The owner can access the mails through the opening at the back of the mailbox, which is also kept locked most of the time. Its lock is placed on the frame and can be opened only by inserting a key.
- Pedestal Mounted Mailboxes. This mailbox has the same concept as that of the apartment boxes. The only difference is it can be mounted directly into the ground. This is applicable in large communities or compound houses. They can be installed in groups, and it can be of any size. It uses either a padlock or the usual bolt locks.
Ways to Unlock Mailbox Lock
Keep in mind that you can make use of any below-listed options if you have a private mailbox. In case you receive postal mail in the mailbox placed in an apartment or through a post office box, you need to contact the proper authority to get an alternate key to unlocking it. It is because these locks can only be opened with either a key or combination. But, if you own the mailbox, you must know how to unlock a mailbox lock by yourself.
Generally, most of the mailbox lock has a simple mechanism to open. If you lost your keys and you want to know how to unlock a mailbox lock, you can try this easy procedure. Make sure to test whether the locking system has any electric signal system manipulated on it for protective purposes. The previous technique can cause damage to the mailbox surface. It will not work for newly bought ones. You have to follow the procedure to make it work carefully.
- Get a flat knife or a manicure scissor.
- Place the sharp edge of the object inside the keyhole.
- Now slowly rotate it either in a clockwise or anticlockwise direction until the mailbox door is unlocked.
- Avoid pushing the object harder as the lock may crack.
- If it doesn’t work well with either knife or manicure scissor, you can try using a flat hairpin and insert it inside the lock.
- Shift it ahead and turn it in different directions until you hear a ticking sound.
Open by Force
Before you can open the mailbox by force, you have to make sure the mailbox is not using modern security technology, as this method may cause the security system to alarm. The locking system should also be simple, and the mailbox should be old enough. So, in case it deforms, you can easily place it with a new one.
If it has all the mentioned requisites, you can apply this procedure.
- You will need a screwdriver or a sharp knife.
- Thrust it inside the key slot
- Start pressing it with force until the lock pin jumps out of the mailbox.
Open by Drilling
This method will only be applicable if you are planning to purchase a new lock to your mailbox, as this process will destroy the castle.
- Get an electrical power drill.
- Power it on and start to drill a hole to the core of the lock.
- Now push the lock using a screwdriver.
- This will break the lock, and you can now open the mailbox.
Use of Lever or Pick Locks
If you want a quick process of opening your mailbox, you can get a lock-picking kit. Lock-picking kit consists of a wide collection of a lever and pick locks, which will be sufficient to unlock the mailbox in a couple of minutes.
Some people have eliminated the use of mailboxes because of the present technological advancement for home security that makes mails and other paper copies converted to electronic ones, like e-mails and e-books. However, there are still a few people who find it highly useful, especially when used to order items online. Courier can place the item into the mailbox. So, you must learn how to unlock a mailbox lock in case you lost the keys. Know more about Mailbox Locks.