Your file cabinet is where you place your important documents. Keeping it close will protect it from people who want to steal for personal use. But it could be a burden to open the file cabinets when you are in a hurry and can you are unable to find the keys. That is why you must learn how to unlock a locked file cabinet. Losing a key is a great hurdle, especially when you’re running out of time. Luckily, most of the file cabinet locks can be bypassed easily using the correct procedure. There are ample of ways you can make use of to open your file cabinet successfully. However, most of those methods can break your file cabinet, but with little patience plus creativeness, you can surely unlock it within a couple of minutes.
Locks of the File Cabinet
Locks of the file cabinet has a round and small bolt connected to a long cylindrical body. These locks are opened using round keys. Unlocking the cabinet includes a rotating bar mechanism at its back that is controlled by keys. So, when you insert and twist it to the left and place it into a lock position. This means the bolt will stick up the file cabinet’s body, which makes you unable to open it.
Ways to Unlock a Locked File Cabinet Other than with Keys
Before stepping towards the unlocking process, it is important to consider the advantage and disadvantages to decide whether such suits your situation. Typically, there are several factors you have to consider in choosing the technique to unlock your file cabinet, such as the cabinet lock type, the raw material of the file cabinet, among others. So, to apply methods successfully, you must learn how to unlock a locked file cabinet.
- Prying or Drilling the Drawer. If you think of throwing away the file cabinet after taking out the necessary documents, then prying or drilling the drawer may be applied. Prying can be done using a pry bar, though it needs extra strength to break the lock.
- Poking and tilting the cabinet. This measure uses a bar to open the cabinet system manually. To do this, you have to ask help from another person to rotate the front surface in the upward direction. You will also need to make a hole with the metal bar and shift the hole’s specific end to release the file cabinet.
- Using a Spare Key. If you learn how to unlock a locked file cabinet, the first thing that you will think of when you lost the original keys is to look for the spare. Mostly, in companies, there are spare keys stored as a backup in case the original key is lost. Ask for it to unlock the file cabinet without a hurdle easily. So, if you are the one who’s managing the file cabinet, and you are not able to set aside alternative keys, then the method does not apply to you.
- Drilling the Lock. This method should be applied if you want to throw the old cabinet. Because this method will destroy the cabinet, making it useless. So, if you are decided to use this technique, you need a metal drill placed perpendicular to the lock. You also need to repeat this step continuously until the lock break and falls off.
- Use of Knife. This technique has to be handled very carefully, as it can hurt your hands. A knife is precise and sharp, thus entering it into the keyhole. Aim it towards the lock and insert. It will easily unlock the cabinet by gradually shifting it either on clockwise or anti-clockwise directions.
- Ask from the Manufacturer. One of the people that can help you learn how to unlock a locked file cabinet is the maker of the file cabinet. You can communicate with the manufacturer and request an additional key. However, this may take time, and you won’t be able to receive what you need on time. So, if you are not in a hurry, you can go ahead and call the manufacturer.
- Hire a Locksmith. If you want to unlock the file cabinet without a single damage, it is better to hire a professional locksmith. Locksmith owns special tools to open the cabinet without causing single damage to its surface. However, a service fee will be charged in return for his service.
There are various techniques in unlocking your file cabinet efficiently. There are times that we forget where we put the keys. Finding them can be very frustrating. So, learning how to unlock a locked file cabinet is necessary. It is also essential to remain patient and select the most suitable method to open the file cabinet without causing permanent damages. Remember that a file cabinet is an amazing home security product that can keep your important documents safe and secure. Here’s how to learn more about Cabinet Latches.