How To Turn Off Smoke Detector Alarms
A lot of homeowners complain about faulty smoke detectors, which constantly set off even without fire or smoke. This can be extremely annoying especially when it occurs repeatedly. Thus, you have to learn how to turn off smoke detector alarm that acts out and causes false alarms.
Turning off a smoke alarm detector is an easy task that you can do alone without calling for professional help. All you need to do is follow this guide, and you should be able to handle false alarms gracefully the next time it happens.
Discussed below are simple ways on how to turn off a smoke detector alarm.
How to Deal with False Smoke Detector Alarm Event
- Reset the system- Even hardwired smoke detectors alarm can sometimes go wrong, and if the annoying alarm doesn't stop, reset the unit. To reset hardwired smoke detectors, follow these steps:
- Turn off the power supply of the device at the circuit breaker.
- Unplug the power supply and detach the detector from the mounting bracket.
- If the device has batteries, remove them as well.
- Press down the test button for 15 to 20 seconds.
- Start with a fresh battery and plug in the power supply.
- Turn on the circuit breaker.
- Reinstall the smoke detector device on the mounting bracket.
- Replace old batteries- One of the most common causes of smoke alarms going on haywire is when the batteries are weak. This is true for battery-operated smoke alarms. If the batteries have been there for some time, then it's time to change them. However, there are smoke detectors that do not require battery change, because the end of battery life means the device should be disposed of. To know if your smoke alarm has replaceable batteries, you can check your manufacturer's manual to know your unit's requisites in terms of battery changes and for more accurate steps on how to turn off smoke detector. But the general rules are as follows:
- Detach the detector from the mounting bracket and search for the battery pack.
- Open the battery container, and before removing the old batteries, take mental note of the charge and its placement.
- Install new batteries and make sure to place them correctly lest the beeping will only continue.
- Perform a smoke alarm test to see if batteries are working right.
- Perform a maintenance procedure- Like any ordinary device, smoke detectors need to undergo maintenance procedures to ensure they are functioning optimally. Smoke alarm devices, especially the hardwired ones, can accumulate dust and harbor wandering foreign objects in it and will cause the alarm to chirp falsely. To clear off dust and other particles from the smoke detectors, you can do the following.
- Slide the device from the mounting bracket and check for visible foreign particles in the vents.
- Get hold of a hairdryer and blow air into the vents to clear it off from dust and other materials that must have gotten into the device.
- It is best to do alarm cleaning alongside changing of batteries for a one-time process.
- Install the device back on the mounting bracket and perform a test.
- Check the test button- For unknown reasons, the test button gets unintentionally pushed, which could be the reason for the constant chirping of the alarm. Check the test button and see if they are pushed. If so, try reverting it to the original position, and that should be enough to stop the smoke detector from triggering an alarm. This is a tried and proven way on how to turn off smoke detectors that give off false alarms.
- Call for a professional’s help- If, after doing all the steps indicated above and the alarm won't stop, there must be something you have not yet figured out that's causing the unwanted beeping. It's time to call for professional help, lest you'll end up pulling off an all-nighter due to the pestering sound coming from the device. It should be easy for them to figure out how to turn off smoke detector no matter the reason for the false alarm.
- Replace the entire alarm unit- After calling in for the help of a technician and the chirping continues, be prepared to replace the whole alarm unit. Expect your local technician to advise unit replacement, and you should be ready to shop for a new one. No matter how robust and durable a smoke detector alarm can be, it can't possibly last forever. The best fire alarms can only last up to ten years. Do not wait for the product to malfunction before replacing them. Look for signs that the device is about to breakdown and change them ahead of time to make sure you and your household remain safe from fire. Looking for a replacement unit should be easy as there is a lot you can choose from your local hardware stores and even online shops.
Fire alarms are indeed a huge help in ensuring the safety of your homes from fire outbreaks. But the moment these fire alarms become faulty, you’d be in trouble, too. So when your smoke detectors start becoming problematic, review the tips in this article on how to turn off smoke detectors. A little tweaking may be all you need to solve your problem of smoke alarms sounding even without fire. Find out more about Smoke Alarms.
Find out more on fire safety by visiting our friends from FIRESUPPLIES! They have everything you need to keep your house safe from fire.