How To Set Up A Garage Door Opener In Cars
New car owners typically prefer to set up a garage door opener directly programmed into the car, rather than carrying a clunky remote around. This gives you the convenience of your garage door opening with just a press of a button. With this, you won't need to worry about leaving the remote behind since it's already connected to your car's system. Typically, the instructions on how to set up garage door opener in car are already provided in your owner's manual.
However, some vehicles are equipped with built-in garage door opener controls and are located either on the visor or the console. It is normally marked with a home icon or something similar. There can be two factors to the process. First is programming the in-vehicle equipment to match your existing remote control, and second, is to teach the garage receiver to identify the vehicle equipment.
Here are six easy steps on how to set up garage door opener in car:
- Press and hold the two external buttons on your car's on-board garage opener system. Free the buttons when the system's indicator light begins to flash.
- Take the garage remote for about two inches from the on-board system, then press and hold the open button on your remote and the button you are programming on your car's system.
- Release the buttons when the system light begins flashing quickly.
- Press and hold the training button on the onboard system until the light becomes stable. If it continues to blink, proceed to the next steps.
- Press the "learn" button on the garage door motor, go back to the vehicle, press "hold" for two seconds, and release the training button on the onboard system again.
- Repeat the press-hold-and-release method two more times until your car opener becomes successfully programmed to your garage motor.
Troubleshooting your Garage Door Opener
If the above steps on how to set up garage door opener in car didn't help you to successfully program your car's system to your garage door opener, you might need to perform additional steps to link the two devices.
- First, try to locate your garage door opener's "learn" button. This device allows easy programming of the remotes and garage door accessories or clearing the machine's memory. The learn button is the red, orange, green, purple, or yellow button located on the back panel of the device.
- Once you've accessed the "learn" button, try these steps to link your remote to your opener:
- Hold and release your garage door opener's "learn" button.
- Press and hold the button in your car for 30 seconds. It will connect your vehicle to the device's signal.
- If the pairing is successful, the light on your device will blink once.
- Test the system by pressing the button inside your car and wait for the garage door to respond.
However, even if you followed all the instructions carefully, and you still have no luck in setting up garage door openers in car, there may be several other issues. Most cars are a breeze to program, but some newer luxury cars, like Audi, have more complicated navigational screen menus and would require extra steps to complete the process. You may also need to have a second person to assist you, or you may need to hire a garage door expert to help you set up the door opener.
If you opt to set up a HomeLink garage door opener, the final step will depend on your device maker:
- Genie: Find and press the learn button located behind the light lens. An indicator light will blink when pressed. Return to your car’s remote button and press three to four times until the garage door moves.
- Lift Master: With a Lift Master, you’ll locate the learn button at the back of the terminal screw board. Press it and hold the button on the car’s remote within 30 seconds until the garage door opener’s light flashes or until you hear the receiver click.
For a Car2U system, press your machine's learn button within 10 to 30 seconds. Press and hold the Car2U system button that you want to use for managing the garage door. Quickly release the button once the garage door moves. Once the button is released, the indicator light will blink rapidly until the process is complete. Press and re-release the button to confirm a successful pairing. Here's how to learn more about Garage Doors.
Today's technology allows us to live more conveniently. Learning how to set up garage door opener in car may seem complicated, but it can easily be done with a simple guide. You would be able to open and close your garage door from your car successfully, just by following the steps above. Doing so can give you less trouble since you won't need to open the garage yourself, or find the remote control first before you can access your garage.
March 1, 2021
If you hear a squeaky sound every time you will open and close the garage door, take it as a cue that its parts are either worn out or needed a grease