Your garage is what protects your vehicles from thieves and vandalism. With the new technological advancement, the garage door can already be opened without getting out of your car. It is now convenient, so make sure you learn how to set garage door opener. Programming it will also give you additional security, it would be less likely accessible to others.
Types of Garage Door Opener
Before trying to get into the details of how to set garage door opener, make yourself familiar with the different kinds of garage door openers. These are the following:
- Chain-drive Opener – The chain drive opener is one of the things to choose from when it comes to an automatic door opening system. This type of opener, as the name suggests, uses a chain that runs along the rail to lift and lower the garage door. It is powered electronically by a motor. The chain drive is connected to a system of gears, rollers, and pin. These give the opener a smooth operation in lifting and lowering the trolley. Many garage owners prefer to have this type of opener because it can be operated manually in case of a power outage or emergency.
- Belt-drive Opener – The belt-drive door opener is considered a high-end and expensive garage door, but they are worth the extra cost. This type of garage opener has a quiet operation because the belt runs without any binding. It has a rubber style belt that runs on the rail. This type of opener runs smoothly because there is no jumping and squeaking metal sound, unlike the chain drive door opener.
- Screw-Drive Opener – The screw drive opener uses a steel rod that allows the trolley to move: the lifting and lowering operation. It consists of fewer moving parts than the belt drive opener system. This is why this type is ideal for houses with garage located adjacent to the sleeping rooms or bedrooms as it operates quietly and requires low maintenance. It operates and runs smoothly along the rail as it does not create vibrations.
- Jackshaft-Drive Opener – The jackshaft drive opener is one of the systems being used by homeowners. You can easily recognize this because of its location. While most of the garage opener system is located beneath the ceiling, the jackshaft drive garage door opener is installed on the wall, next to the garage door. This type of opener works only with torsion spring. It also needs to have an electronic outlet within the length of the opener and must be at least seven inches clearance on the side of the door and three inches above the torsion rod. The jackshaft drive opener works like a roll-up, which works with sectional styles.
- Direct-Drive Opener – The direct-drive opener is a type of garage door opener that is less complicated. It operates by a motor, which is the one responsible for the operation of the trolley. It does not require a belt, chain, or threaded pieces. With this opener system, it will not be hard to learn how to set garage door openers. This door opener also provides you with smooth and quiet operation, and it rarely requires maintenance.
How to Set Garage Door Opener
When you get home late at night and tired, it is convenient to just press the remote for the garage to open instead of taking time to get off the vehicle and open the garage. With this, you should learn how to set garage door opener and control it using just your remote control. You can actually do this with the help of the Homelink transmitter.
Remember to always begin with a new battery for smooth programming. If your garage door has been programmed previously, you need to reset it to start fresh with no issues. Press the outer button of the transmitter. Hold it for 20 seconds until you see the light flashing. When this is done, your garage door opener is now ready to be programmed.
- Start it with your car keys set to accessory (“ACC”) position.
- On the transmitter, hold the button for 20 to 30 seconds until it begins flashing slowly. Hold it for the next step.
- On your other hand, hold the handheld transmitter and point it about 2 inches away to the other transmitter’s flashing light. Press the operating button on the handheld unit. You will know the frequency has entered the Homelink transmitter when the light starts flashing faster.
- Press the training button on the garage door receiver. It is the small button next to a small light that flashes when the button is pressed.
- Once the indicator light flashes, you have 30 seconds to perform the below steps:
- While the key to your car is still turned to ACC, press the button you programmed earlier on the in-car transmitter for three seconds.
- Remove your finger from the button, then press it again for another three seconds.
- If the garage door hasn’t moved yet, press again the button for another three seconds.
- For the final step, you will know it is already programmed when the door responds. Otherwise, you need to unplug the receiver for a minute and perform the process again. If you find this difficult to do by yourself, you can ask any of your family member or a friend to help you.
Your garage is your vehicle’s safe area. You have to keep it secured to avoid thief and vandalism. Keeping bad guys away is difficult if you don’t know how to set garage door opener. Pick the type of garage door that is suitable for your garage or the one that fits your reference. Nothing beats sleeping at peace during the night, knowing that no one can steal your vehicle. Know more about Garage Doors.