Gone are the days of combination locks on safes. Biometric technology has gained more and more popularity in every area of our lives. While this type of security has many benefits, it presents its own challenges too. While you may have been used to combination locks, you are probably wondering how to reset Barska biometric safe. Barska manufactures a lot of popular safes used by homeowners and businesses. You can not reset a biometric lock with a new combination of numbers like you would with a combination safe, so there are some different steps to take if you have Barska biometric safe.
How Does a Biometric Safe Work?
Before I get into how to reset Barska biometric safe, why should you use one in the first place, and how does it work?
Biometric technology makes use of your unique biological features. The most common types are face detection and fingerprints. Barska biometric safes use fingerprint detection technology to make sure your unique fingerprint is the only one that can fully open the safe. However, to ensure extra security, Barska biometric safes also have the option of a key and combination lock. This is in case you want to add levels of security.
The great thing about Barska biometric safes is that they can detect more than one type of fingerprint. This means you can use different fingers or more than one person can access the safe, and they do not need a key or to memorize a combination.
When you set up a safe, you have to register a combination, but in the case of a biometric safe, you need to register the fingerprints that will allow access to the safe. The prints are scanned by a scanner that analyzes the different hollows between the ridges of your fingerprint. The fingerprints are scanned and saved in a secure database. It only takes about half a second to store a person’s fingerprints. Your prints are basically now your keys to your safe. Just as the shape of the key fits the lock, the pattern of your fingerprints should match what is stored in the scanner, which will grant you access upon reading your print.
This is a great advantage of biometric safes because you do not need to leave a note of your combination lying around, or no one will be able to steal a key from you. Here’s how to learn more about Biometric Safes.
How to Register Your Fingerprint
While I will guide you on how to reset Barska biometric safe, the first step is to make sure a fingerprint has already been registered.
Follow these steps to register your fingerprint on your biometric safe:
- Make sure the batteries are installed. If not, insert four functioning AA batteries into the battery compartment.
- When you first use the biometric safe, it is in factory default mode. This means any fingerprint can open the safe.
- Keep the safe door open. Press and release the initialization button.
- Immediately place your finger on the fingerprint scanner. Keep your finger still. You will hear one beep, which means the print has been recognized. Do not remove your finger until you hear two more consecutive beeps.
- You will know if your registration was successful if you heard those three beeps. If you want to register more than one fingerprint, repeat the same steps above.
Test your fingerprint to double-check the registration was a success. Follow these steps:
- Turn the handle counterclockwise to lock the safe.
- Press and release the wake-up button.
- Place a finger whose print you did not register onto the scanner.
- Turn the handle clockwise. You should not be able to open the vault.
- Press and release the wake-up button.
- Place a finger whose print you did register on the scanner.
- Turn the handle clockwise. The door vault should now be open!
If the vault opened when you used an unregistered fingerprint, try registering it again.
How to Delete All Stored Fingerprints and Reset the Safe
Deleting the fingerprints stored by your vault is useful when more than a person has access to your safe, and you no longer want them to have access. If you think you made a mistake with your prints, you can delete all the data and start with a clean slate.
Follow these steps to know how to reset Barska biometric safe:
- Open the battery compartment and remove all four AA batteries.
- Press and release the wake-up button several times until you no longer hear any beeps.
- Press and hold down the initialization button. While still holding down the button, re-insert the batteries. Once all batteries are in, you will hear one beep, then two consecutive beeps. This means the safe is now in factory default mode.
- Release the initialization button.
- Follow the same steps for registering fingerprints.
A biometric safe is a useful and modern item to have at home if you need extra security. If you have trouble remember combinations or constantly misplace keys, you definitely should consider getting a safe that makes use of biometric technology. Now that you know how to reset Barska biometric safe, you can get a Barska biometric safe and be confident in using it.