Wired alarm door sensors are the best tools that will help you keep your home and family safe. Now, there are wired alarm door sensors that don’t work for too long and need to be replaced right away. In this article, I will teach you how to replace wired alarm door sensors, and when you need to replace your wired alarm door sensor at home or work.
Types of Home Alarm Systems
Before you ever know how to replace wired alarm door sensors, you must first learn about the different types of home alarm systems. This way, you will know your choices when replacing your home alarm systems.
Monitored Home Alarm System
The first type of home alarm system that you need to learn about before learning how to replace wired alarm door sensors is the monitored home alarm system.
A monitored home alarm system will provide comfort and peace of mind knowing that professionals will be alerted once an alarm goes off. Its features include the following:
- Monitoring service that will alert professional security once an alarm goes off.
- A back-up phone for when the landlines malfunction because of storms of phenomena.
- Back-up power supply or continuous power supply for uninterrupted monitoring.
- The ability to activate and deactivate the alarms via phone or computer.
- Sensors and detectors that will alert the receiver or the monitor once they get ticked.
- Remotes and chains that allow you to control the alarm
This is the most advanced form of home alarm system that is used nowadays all over the world. However, if you are concerned about your privacy and are not comfortable about having someone else monitor your home, you can move on to the next type of home alarm system.
Wireless Alarm Sensor
The next one is wireless alarm sensors or alarms, including a panel and sensors connected with built-in radio frequency transmitters. Once the sensors are tripped, a signal will be sent to the control panel, which activates the alarm.
Wired Alarm System
The final alarm system that you need to learn about before knowing the steps on how to replace wired alarm door sensors is the actual wired alarm system.
This is the most basic alarm system that you can encounter because it uses low-voltage circuits that will flow between two points. Opening doors or windows will trigger the alarm because this will interrupt the electrical flow.
How to Replace Alarm Sensor
Unmounting the Old Sensor
Replacing your home alarm sensor means taking the old one off to mount a new one, which is what we are going to do.
- Grab the screwdriver and disconnect the wires from the old sensor.
- If the old sensor is surface mounted, all you have to do is remove the adhesive tapes and detach it from the wall.
- You can leave the wires, the magnets, and any other hardware that still works well for the new sensor.
Wiring the New Sensor
- With the use of the screwdriver, connect the existing wires to the new wireless door sensor.
- Follow the instructions on the manual.
- Make sure that the wires don’t hang loose and that they are well secured.
Setting Up the New Sensor
- Set the new sensor on the door frame,
- Make sure that the new sensor is aligned correctly,
- If you are using new magnets, make sure they are placed on or inside the moving part of the door.
- If the sensor is mounted on the surface, use screws or double-sided tapes to have it installed.
- You may need to drill new holes, depending on your new wireless sensors.
- Make sure that the magnets are near when the door is closed.
Try the New Wired Alarm Home Sensor
The final step is to try the new wireless sensor. You have to make sure that it works well. This is mandatory if you have monitored home sensors. But, make sure to test your new home sensors.
This way, you will know if they work and if the sensors work or are comfortable trusting the sensors with your life or safety.
In this article, I talked about how to replace a wired alarm door sensor. There are different types of home alarm systems you can go for if you wish to get added security for your homes or upgrade. Learning how to replace wired alarm door sensor is very important because aside from it can help you save money, it can also help you have that added privacy and peace of mind knowing you fool-proofed it properly. Find out more about Door Alarms.