Sometimes we make poor decisions when it comes to our homes and offices. One of the most common ones involves sticky window films or self-adhesive window films. It is tempting to perform a DIY on these films, but most self-installation efforts end in uneven, wrinkled and bubbled windows. If we know how to remove sticky window film, it will be easier to correct our mistakes and start over the correct way.
Sticky Window Films
Sticky window films come in different designs, but they are mainly used for privacy, security, and decorative purposes.
- Privacy window films – Privacy window films are an excellent alternative to drapes, blinds, and curtains. You don’t have to block the sunlight and the view to feel private. Privacy films include tinted, frosted, or highly reflective films.
- Security window films – Security window films can strengthen the regular glass. Glass can be a fragile material, and security films for windows can protect you from break-ins, accidents, attacks, and natural disasters. And other types can lessen the effects of UV rays.
- Decorative window films – These films give a very aesthetic look to your windows. If you have a specific design for your store or your bedroom, decorative window films can add a stylish touch and improve its overall look.
Advantage and Disadvantage of Sticky Window Film
Window films have certain advantages and disadvantages. These are the following:
- It is not too costly.
- There are a variety of window films to choose from.
- You have an option to apply it on your own.
- It is challenging to apply a window film evenly.
- It can result in wrinkles and bubbles.
- These films come in a traditional size. If you need a more significant film, you may need to add more, which will result in uneven seams.
Steps on Removing Sticky Window Films
Before we start with the steps, there are a few things to prepare:
- utility knife or a cutter
- window scraper – you can easily find this in any hardware store
- steamer – a handheld steamer will be more convenient for you
- soft steel wool
- cloths and rags
If you ever do find yourself in a situation that would require you to know how to remove sticky window film in your home or office, these are the simple steps to follow:
- Step 1 – Prepare soapy water and put it in a spray bottle
- Step 2 – Spray the film you want to remove with the soapy water. You can soften the film in the process.
- Step 3 – Mark the film with lines using your knife. During this step, you can continue to score the film with your knife starting from the top to the bottom.
- Step 4 – Start removing the film. You can start from the upper corner of the film and gently pull it away. You can use your window scraper for this step if it is too difficult to remove.
- Step 5 – Clean the glass thoroughly. The glass sometimes has residual glue left. You can remove this by gently scraping it and use a window cleaner to wipe it completely clean.
Expert Hacks For Sticky Window Films
You can always choose to contact professionals for removal, but knowing how to remove sticky window film can help you save unnecessary expense. What if you need to remove more stubborn window film? Window films of poor quality are usually challenging to remove. But if you encounter this difficulty here are some expert hacks:
- Remember the vinegar you prepared? You can create a mix with vinegar to soften the glue of the window film. If you decide to use ammonia, make sure you are working in an area with proper ventilation and to wear protective gear like gloves. You can use heat from your hair dryer as you spray the mixture to soften stubborn film further.
- There’s another option for ammonia. Some of you may be uncomfortable using chemicals so you can use a handheld steamer. The steamer works as a glue softener for the film to make it easier to remove.
- If you have cling wrap, you can use it as a wrap over the film to soften it. Spray the vinegar solution on the film and use the cling wrap over the film.
- Another option is to use soft steel wool. You have to be careful when using this because it might scratch the glass. You can test the steel wool on a small glass area before brushing the stubborn glue from your window.
DIY Tips For Sticky Window Films
We now know that sticky window films are an affordable way of decorating and maintaining privacy. Still, because of the common mistakes in installation, it is not an advisable DIY activity. It is recommended that you have your window films installed by professionals, so you don’t spend on unnecessary re-installation. But since you now know how to remove sticky window film, you should feel more confident about installing it yourself. Here are a few tips for installation:
- Purchase a high-quality window film. There are many options available that will suit your needs and style.
- Make sure your windows are clean. You will not want bubbles on the glass when you install the film.
- Make sure the surface is flat. Sticky window films work best on smooth, clean, flat surfaces.
- Take your time. This is not a quick installation. It requires patience, precision, and all the help you can get.
- Follow instructions. It would be best if you acquainted yourself with manufacturing rules and guidelines for cleaning and maintenance.
Sticky window films have made window décor, privacy, and home security an affordable possibility for all homes. Knowing how to remove sticky window film is not as complicated as it sounds, but just like installation, it requires patience. Now that you know simple window film removal and installation, you don’t have to be afraid to start your DIY project for your home. Find out more about Window Security.