Gone are the days when we lift garage doors by hands, which many of us find difficult and draining. Back then, some of us even get annoyed when approaching the garage door as it’s going to be some muscle work once again. But thanks to modern-day devices that afforded us convenience, and turned what used to be challenging tasks easy with a blink of an eye. One of these life-changing devices referred to is the garage door opener, which is now a standard prop in most homes with a garage.
Employing the help of this trendy device is not a meticulous job at all because when you purchase a garage door opener, it usually comes with a manual that should tell you how to program the gadget. However, if you miss this part of the package, or is probably trying to add a second remote for the device, you can make use of this quick and easy step-by-step guide on how to program garage door opener.
The Components and How They Work
There are three components of the device that you must familiarize yourself with when performing the task on how to program garage door opener: the Transmitter in the form of a Remote Control or a Keypad, the Receiver, and the Garage Door Opener. These are the working parts of the entire package.
Transmitters: It is a radio transmitter in the form of remote control or a keypad that usually operates at 315 MHz. The range may vary depending on the creator. It’s best to ask your local seller before purchasing one to avoid disappointments. The Transmitter is the unit that sends a signal to the radio receiver, which then prompts the opener to perform a command. When using this device for the first time, make sure to begin with a new battery.
Receiver: It receives the signal from the remote control or Transmitter. It also commands the garage door opener to do bidding- which is to open or close.
Garage Door Opener: The actual servant of the three and is the motor that runs to open or close the garage door.
Programming Essentials: All You Need to Set-up the Garage Door
The entire garage door programming activity should take you no more than 5-10 minutes, but having a helper at bay can make the process much more comfortable and the task quicker to accomplish. You will also need a ladder and a flashlight for convenience.
Programming the garage doors may see you climbing a ladder and make necessary adjustments to the door, such as closing and opening it a couple of times- which constitute a hazard. Hence, be sure to keep away kids from the work area before starting the activity, as safety should always be the priority. Once the area is set, do the following steps on how to program garage door opener:
Programming a Garage Door Opener Remote
- Locate the Learn Button. This button, also called smart or train button, is usually found behind the cover of the receiver. It’s located on the side where the wires are coming in. Lift the light lid, and you should see a colored button. Don’t expect to see a label but know that the learn button is usually located beside a LED light. Press this button, and the LED light will flash.
- Program the Remote Control. Get hold of your remote control, push the remote button, and see the light flicker. The flickering light is an indication that the remote control has been successfully programmed.
- Press the Remote Button Once Again. After you program the remote, press it once more, and the garage door opener should now open.
Programming a Garage Door Opener Keypad
- Once again, locate the Learn Button. Press the learn button, and the LED light will blink to indicate that it’s ready for programming. After hitting the learn button, you will have no more than 30 seconds to program the Keypad, and that’s when you could use a helper lest you’ll have to descend from the ladder and run towards where the Keypad is mounted.
- Program the Keypad. In your Keypad, key in the code and the enter button. You will see the light turn on and off, an indication that the code was received, and the Keypad is successfully programmed.
- Press the Remote’s Enter Button. Doing so will command the garage door to open.
Troubleshooting Programming ProblemsMagnetic Media Fireproof Safe
No matter how easy the task looks, some attempts in self- programming the garage door often fails, and this is when you will need to troubleshoot errors. Don’t worry, though, as this is a common fixable bug that usually requires no professional help. All you will need is a little bit of patience in going through the whole procedure once more.
If the garage door opener does not work after your initial attempt to program, unplug the receiver for a minute, and repeat the entire procedure. Also, check if the batteries are fully charged. It is best to start with a fresh battery as a low battery is the most common reason for failure in programming garage doors.
If all personal efforts fail, and the problem persists, it’s time to call for help from your local technician or the seller. The product could be defective and needs a replacement. As the product comes with a warranty, it should not be a problem getting a replacement device. Then perform the entire procedure once again, or better yet, ask for an expert’s help, as you might have missed a thing or two in how to program garage door opener that a trained technician can easily maneuver.
Now that you’ve successfully pulled off your “how to program garage door opener” DIY task like a pro, earn the fruits of your effort as you will no longer need to open those cranky garage doors manually. Bear in mind that for every difficulty you meet in performing tasks, a device is designed to help. As the saying goes, ‘necessity is the mother of invention.’ So you might want to check the web for more devices that make life easier, such as this garage door opener. Find out more about Garage Doors.