Electric garage doors save you money, time, and energy by allowing you to open and close the garage door quickly or adjust its height as you desire. But there are unlucky moments when you misplace your remote control, giving you a hard time opening your garage door. There will also be times like power outages or broken springs. If you’re in this situation, you should know that this problem can be solved. Read on to know how to open the garage door without a remote.
How to Open the Garage Door without a Remote
It is very convenient to use a garage remote control, but sometimes certain factors force you to open your garage door without a remote. Surprisingly, you can do it manually. You need to know that all electronic or automatic garage doors have a bypass that will allow you to open it manually. The bypass will disconnect the door from the powered carriage, but it stays on the track. Once you disconnect it, you will be successful at lifting it manually.
Don’t worry because you won’t be destroying the garage door in the process. When you have already located the remote or the power comes back, you can again lock the bypass, and you will be using the door again automatically. You should know the necessary steps on how to open a garage door without the remote. You will be surprised that the steps are simple and doable.
Opening a Garage Door Manually from the Inside
- Unlock the door. You must find any locks or latches near the outside of the garage door and make sure they’re open so they won’t interfere when you manually open the door.
- Unplug the opener. It would be best if you disconnected the power cord from the automatic door opener.
- Find the emergency release cord. You will see that the emergency release cord has a red handle and hangs from the center rail of the garage door track. This red cord attaches to the trolley, connecting the arm of your garage door to this center track. Use only the emergency release handle when the garage door is closed.
- Pull the cord. You should disconnect the garage door from the trolley and manually move the garage door by pulling down the handle.
- Lift the garage door. It would be best if you pulled straight from the bottom and wait until the door stops moving. You need to make sure it stays in place before you let go and back your car.
- Close the door. Once you’ve successfully made it outside, you have to pull the door down to close it again. If your door has a lock bar, slide it to lock. It pays to know how to open a garage door without the remote.
Opening a Garage Door Manually from the Outside
- Locate the emergency release kit: The first thing to do is to find the emergency release kit located near the top of your garage door that is usually centered. This small lock stores an emergency release cable. Take note that you will also need to have the corresponding key.
- Unlock the emergency release cord: When you turn the key and pull out the lock tumbler, a cable will be revealed. This cord will trigger the release mechanism putting your door into manual mode.
- Unlock the garage door: Next is to lower down from the emergency release kit, another lock next to a handle keeps the door closed. Using your key, unlock the door and turn the handle vertically.
- Lift the door: This time, pull the garage door straight up with your hands and ensure it stays open before driving your car inside the garage.
- Close the door: Once you’re inside, pull the garage door down to close it. As simple as that, and you’re done. You will feel great if you know how to open the garage door without a remote.
Even the best of us tend to misplace things. Whether it’s our keys, mobile phones or wallets, it’s easy to lose track of our essential items, especially when they are small. A garage door remote is small and, at times, easily misplaced. It is so frustrating when you cannot make the remote to open your garage door for you, but if you know how to do it manually, you can quickly jump out of your car, open the door and be on your way.
It is essential to have that knowledge on how to open the garage door without a remote. It is beneficial in saving time when you’re about to be late at work or hurrying to get in during a storm or in emergency cases. Know more about Garage Doors.