Your floodlight is one of the most useful fixtures in your house that serves to increase security at nighttime. However, keeping it lighted can consume too much electricity. It is a good thing that this type of light has a motion sensor that can be activated anytime. So, you must understand how it works and how to make flood lights motion sensored. If you have an existing floodlight, you can put a motion sensor into it so, and it will give a blazing light whenever it detects motion.
Features of Motion Sensor
Before you learn how to make flood lights motion sensored, you must know the features of motion sensors.
- Wireless Motion Sensors. Most of the motion detectors function wirelessly, which makes it more convenient and easier to use. It is also easy to set up when it is wireless because this does not require drilling. This is usually used along with other security systems.
- Contact Motion Sensor. This feature of the motion sensor only triggers when a protected window or door is opened.
- Pet Motion Sensor. You cannot control your pets from passing through your window or door. With this feature, you can set the control to ignore moving pets up to a certain weight, making it more accurate and less prone to a false alarm.
- Video/Light Motion Sensor. You combine the motion sensor with video cameras or security lights for a more advanced signal processing. The device will record activities with a video motion sensor when it detects motion within its specified range. This will help you conserve video storage because you don’t have to record unnecessary footage. This is the same thing with a light motion sensor; it will help you save power as it will only light up when it senses motion.
How a motion sensor works
The motion sensor light bulb has a Passive Infrared Sensor, also known as PIR Sensor. It looks like a small nub at the top of the bulb. This passive sensor can detect all things that emit heat like the human body. Once it comes to the specified PIR range, these heatwaves are detected and turned the light on.
So, how to make flood lights motion sensored? The motion sensor lights, once turned on, can stay lighted for 1 to 20 minutes. You have the option to set the timer, and when the time is up, it will turn off unless it senses another motion within its range. The sensor works within the field of view up to 240 degrees and a distance up to 70 ft. So, you will notice it reacts when it senses someone’s approaching. The device has a protocell that deactivates the sensor function during the daytime.
Install Motion Detector Light
All motion sensor floodlight works the same, but it can be installed differently based on the brand and manufacturer. Read the instruction manual carefully to ensure you put everything in place. But there is a common way of setting up the fixture and learning how to make flood lights motion sensored.
- Turn the electricity off. Before you get started, you must turn off all electric sources connected to your working area. You can test the wire using a voltage tester to ensure there is no more current flowing.
- Set up with a large box. Check and measure your existing outdoor lightbox if it fit the new one. If it doesn’t fit, you have to look for a larger box. Count the number of wires and the cable clamps. Everything should fit into the new box you will install.
- Mount the Gasket and Wires. Mount the motion sensor based on the instruction given by the manufacturer. Then run the wire through the rubber gasket. You can then connect them according to their colors with the use of wire connectors.
- Mount in the Lights. After you have fixed and sealed, you can then screw the fixture to the box. If necessary, apply the sealer or filler around the edges to make sure water will not get through it.
- Setting the sensor and bulb. Decide where you want the bulb to light up and point it into that direction. Aim the motion sensor to the range you want to cover. You can change the position of the light and the area of coverage anytime later.
Once the fixture is placed correctly on the wall, you can set the controls. Set the timer and the automatic shut off. When you have done all the necessary steps, you are good to go, and your fixture is ready to light up the night. Know more about Flood Lights.
Having a motion sensor lighting can be a big help and provides you convenience, especially if you always come home late at night. The protocell technology of the motion sensor lights automatically functions when the surrounding gets dark, so you do not need to be at home to activate it. Make sure you know how to make flood lights motion sensored to enjoy its benefits.