Your safety and well-being are a few of your top priorities. Today, given the many different forms of home security technologies at your disposal, it is easier to purchase security devices that you can install in your home to have an enhanced security system. However, you’re reading this material because you want to pull off a do-it-yourself project on how to make a motion detector alarm system.
This guide is for people who are well-versed with electronics and know what each part is for. This material will only include the material and an overview of the procedures that you’re going to implore in the making of the motion detector alarm system. If you happen to know your way through building electronics, with the information provided in this material, you can make your own reliable motion detector alarm system for added safety at home.
What You Will Need
To build an effective motion detector alarm system, here are the materials and tools you should be ready with:
- 9-volt battery holders with switches
- 9-volt battery
- PIR (passive infrared) sensor module
- Piezo buzzer (80 decibels, more or less as per preference)
- Assorted 1/4W resistors
- 5.1v Zener assortments
- 2N394 (transistors)
- Soldering iron
- Wirecutter flux
- Glue, silicone sealant, e6000, or glue gun and glue stick (as per preference)
- Magnet, Velcro, or double-stick tape (for attaching)
All of the materials can be found in either radio shack or your local electronic shops. If needed, you can even purchase it online. However, for the sake of having the best materials and tools to work with, it is ideal for scouting as many local electronic shops as you can so that you can get the exact materials that you’ll need at an economical price. This DIY how to make a motion detector alarm system can be costly or economical, depending on your mode of action and choices.
The Detailed Descriptions of the Materials and an Overview of the Entire Procedure
You might be familiar with the materials you are going to use on how to make a motion detector alarm system. Still, below will be helpful details that will explain why these specific materials are picked. It will also give you an idea as to how to put all the materials together to make your very own motion detector alarm system.
- To start, the PIR module is used with Arduino. On the sensor, you will notice three pins. One is a ground, the second one is the output pin, and the last one is a 5-volt pin. At the top portion of the sensor, the one on the right is used to adjust the range at which it will trigger using infrared, and on the left is a potentiometer that is used to adjust how long the output pin triggers. The same module is also going to be used to light up some exterior lighting using a relay.
- The battery compartment is designed to hold a 9-volt battery, and it has a built-in power switch because the Piezo alarm cannot be driven directly off the output pin. The voltage is going to be very low as well as the current. You’re going to amplify that. That’s what the transistors are for. It’s a 2N3904. However, you can also use a bc547; either way will work. There’s no need to have a resistor on the base of the transistor coming off of a PIR module.
- The Piezo butter is going to be operated using 9 volts directly from the battery, and the module requires 5 volts. To power the module using 5 volts, you’re going to be using a simple Zener regulator circuit using a 200-ohm quarter way resistor and a 5-volt Zener diode. The other transistor is a 1-watt diode, which you can use if you’re going to secure it to an area where you want to have a detection.
You can use a magnet; a ferrite magnet is ideal if you wish to use one. You need to glue it at the back of the project box so it can stick to anywhere that is made of metal. You can also use double-stick tape, a Velcro strap to secure the alarm system to items that are not made of metal.
Given that you have great knowledge of electronics, you can pull off this DIY project. If you need further assistance, you know where to look to be able to be guided in doing this project. So, now that you know how to make a motion detector alarm system, it is up to you to create a number of them to keep you home secure and give you some peace of mind.
The Benefits of Making Your Alarm System
As mentioned earlier in this material, there are multiple producers of alarm systems to choose from. The topmost brands that most houses would prefer would be those that burglars would study to crack so that they can easily get into your homes. The benefit of making your alarm system is that only you know your system.
Well, it can be patterned to the existing ones, but DIY alarm systems are more of what you need and what works for you specifically, and how you are going to control it or whatnot. Of course, it will still have the generic function like most alarm systems, plus more.
This article will help you make a super compact infrared motion-activated alarm on your own. The device has around a 30-foot range, can be very loud and draws about 23 milliamps of current. Depending on your preference, it can be secured using a magnet, Velcro, or double-stick tape. If you are ready, you can now prepare all the tools and materials you need and follow the guide on how to make a motion detector alarm system. Learn more about Motion Detector Alarm Systems.