How To Install Wireless Security Cameras
The act of being watched can arouse a sense of powerlessness. That is why security cameras are reported to be effective deterrents to criminal activity. If you want security for yourself, your belongings, and your loved ones, it is only reasonable to want to know how to install wireless security cameras to be placed in your home or your business.
Wireless Security vs. Wire-Free Security Systems
It is essential to know the difference between these two security cameras. A wireless security camera still requires a power source, but a wire-free security camera operates on batteries. Understanding their differences makes it easy for us to find out how to install wireless security cameras since they have minor differences in installation.
Security footage in a wireless security camera is transmitted from the camera to the recorder. The footage is accessed through cloud storage or built-in device. Wireless systems use your Wi-Fi network (either wirelessly or with a cable), but wireless security cameras still need to be connected to power.
- Installation is relatively easy with wireless security cameras. No cables are needed to connect the recorders to the cameras, which gives us flexibility in mounting locations. We will learn more about how to install wireless security cameras in the next section.
- A wireless security system is ideal for renters or business owners that are staying in temporary spaces.
- Wireless security systems still rely on a power source. Even if it allows for more flexibility in mounting locations, you will have to check for power sources for your wireless security camera.
- Because wireless security cameras are connected to a power source, it is susceptible to power outages.
- Part of the charm of a wireless security system is that it only needs your Wi-Fi network to store footage in the cloud. However, if you have network issues, it will affect the system’s performance. There are also areas in the house that have weaker network access, limiting possible locations for your device.
This type of security system is the easiest to install. Since they operate on battery power, modern battery technology has made these systems a viable option for security.
- Because wire-free security systems do not need a power source, they can be placed almost anywhere. However, they have to be put out of reach to avoid being stolen because they have no cables at all.
- Just like in wireless security systems, they are ideal for people staying in temporary spaces.
- This type of security system can work through a power outage because it operates on batteries.
- A wire-free security system relies heavily on the Wi-Fi signal. Any network disruptions can put a halt to your security system.
- Batteries for wire-free security cameras need to be charged or recharged once in a while. They still need to be checked regularly, even if they have standby modes that help save power.
Installation For Wireless And Wire-Free Security Cameras
Now that we know the benefits of a wireless security system, we can finally begin the steps on how to install wireless security cameras.
As mentioned above, there is only one main difference between a wireless and a wire-free security camera, and that is power vs. battery operation. We will adjust the steps for installation as we go along.
STEP 1 – Choose where you want to put your cameras
It is also useful to know what angle you would like the cameras to be in before starting installation. You can also change the location whenever you see fit.
NOTE: Make sure your chosen location does not have a weak network connection
STEP 2 – Pick a height that has an excellent vantage point for surveillance
We also want to make sure that intruders have a hard time reaching our security cameras. For wireless security cameras, do not forget to take note of the need for a power source. You may adjust this if necessary.
STEP 3 – Mark the chosen location on the wall with a pencil
You can do this while holding the mounting brackets against the wall, so the location marks are more accurate.
STEP 4 – Drill holes into the wall using a bit that is slightly smaller than the bracket’s screws
The drilling of these small holes will allow the screws to enter the wall without unnecessary and additional damage.
STEP 5 – Use the drill holes as a reference and hold the mounting bracket against the wall
Align the screw holes with the holes in the wall and finally insert the screws into its proper place. The brackets must be secure before the camera is installed.
STEP 6 – Place the camera into the bracket that has been mounted in place
You may now insert the required batteries for wire-free security cameras or plug the wireless camera to the nearest power source. During this time, the camera should already be working.
STEP 7 – Follow manufacturer instructions to connect the camera to a receiver
This is applicable for wireless security cameras that use a DVR or NVR recorder.
NOTE: Wire-free security cameras use the internet cloud for video storage. This means, after the last step, you need to check your cloud storage to see if it is already working.
Now that you know how to install wireless security cameras, you must be excited to start setting up a wireless security system in your own space. After considering location, budget, lighting, resolution, and audio capabilities, you should be good to go. There are a lot of wireless security cameras in the market with a price range between $20.00 to more than $100.00. Choose the one that would best fit you’re your home and your needs.
There are many reasons why you may want to install a wireless security system. Whether it will serve as a visual deterrent for intruders or to check on your pets at home, you can finally be at ease knowing there is a practical and straightforward way of keeping your home safe. Know more about Wireless Security Cameras.
April 8, 2021
Security cameras play an important role in the modern home security system. We’d all agree that security cams have broad application
April 1, 2021
Outdoor wireless security cameras are an essential and beneficial investment in protecting your family and property. Whether you are sleeping or when you are not around, you want the best outdoor wireless security camera system with cloud storage to keep an eye on your home or loved ones.