Outdoor security lights are proven beneficial when installed in your property. They deter would-be criminals and provide enough vision to monitor everything around you. That’s why homeowners need to know how to install security lights outdoor to further fortify homes.
Installing your very own security lights by yourself is a good way to save loads of cash as it requires a certain amount of money to hire an expert when trying to install them in your home. In this article, we will dive right on to the basic procedures, and homeowners need to be educated about why we should install outdoor security lights.
What Are Outdoor Security Lights?
Outdoor security lights are installed lights that provide vision with a field of area. It simply gives light illumination that easily helps you track people around your home. Also, outdoor security lights keep your family safe and secure in the comfort of your own home. It is advantageous if you know how to install security lights outdoors so that you can do it anytime it needs to be done.
As their name suggests, they provide security, not to the extent that they will fight burglars for you. They give a stern warning for criminals that they have this feeling of being watched, thus minimizing the chance of breaking inside of your home.
Also, outdoor security lights provide security, but it also helps your neighbors monitor your home and theirs. Because of the light, movements are easily tracked with the help of these lights.
How to Install Security Lights Outdoor
Knowing how to install security lights outdoor adds a whole new dimension in your own home, these motion sensors help detect movement around your area and enhance security. If you pick a location where there is a pre-existing light, then be sure to turn off your circuit breaker before installing your security lights to avoid electrocutions and static, you may also need rubber gloves for added protection. These are the quick and easy steps on how to install security lights outside.
Start by turning the current light fixture on and off and be sure that it is working. After it is clear that it works, turn off the circuit breaker and be sure that the lights are turned off. This is to avoid electrocutions.
Remove the old light fixture along with its wire by unscrewing it counterclockwise. Be sure to do this carefully. You don’t want to deal with broken light fixtures.
Install or Attach a bracket to the box that will support the new security lights. It should be noted that you should firmly attach the bracket.
Pair each wire with their corresponding color from the box, then screw the wire nuts clockwise to have a snug fit and firmly hold them in place. Also, be sure to ground the fixture first.
Place the fixture onto the box and the rubber gasket to provide a waterproof feature. Make sure that the fixture is properly placed along with the box.
Configure the motion sensor according to your liking. This varies deeply on the surrounding environment in which your house is located. Adjust to your liking.
And you are done!
Outdoor Security Light Installation Tips
Learning how to install security lights outdoors greatly depends on your home’s architecture and the design of the light fixture. Although you may refer to the manufacturer’s manual for directions, you may consider some of our basic guidelines and tips when installing outdoor security lights.
- Choose locations wherein thieves and burglars couldn’t tamper the light fixture. Usually, outdoor security lights are installed or placed in higher points of the house. This is to limit the potential of jamming the entire light fixture.
- It is also important to cover up the light wirings. This will protect the entire light fixture.
- Adjust your outdoor security lights pointing down through the area when they are installed in high points of your house. A properly installed outdoor security gives efficient monitoring.
- Always adjust the sensitivity of the motion sensor according to your liking.
- It is also important when outlining your entire security light setup to consider and integrate it with your indoor and exterior lighting to have a cohesive design. Reflective paints also add more attention to the entire light fixture.
How to Maintain Outdoor Security Lights
Once you successfully installed your outdoor security lights, it is essential to maintain the light fixture outside your home to ensure the efficiency, safety, and security of the entire place. Here are some of the tips on how to maintain outdoor security lights.
- Using mild soap and a soft cloth or foam, clean those dirty lenses due to the accumulation of dust and all sorts.
- Burned-out bulbs should be replaced immediately.
- When outdoor security lights are placed with bushes and trees, trim or prune them to fully provide enough vision for the entire field of vision. Light obstruction is one of the reasons why outdoor lights don’t work efficiently.
- Shrubs and Bushes should be trimmed that are near to your doors, windows, and garage. A wide and clear view of your surrounding will prove beneficial in the long run.
- Repair or replace damaged wirings or livewires to avoid any unwanted electrocutions.
Outdoor security lights have been at the disposal of every homeowner for years. They have tons of uses and advantages when they are installed in your home. With our easy guidelines and tips on how to install security lights outdoors, your home should be fortified and well-guarded with these security devices.
Lastly, outdoor security lights are a cheap investment each homeowner should make to ensure the safety and protection of their own home and family members. With our basic installation guide, you are well-informed and guided on how to install security lights outdoor. No professional expertise needed. Here’s how to learn more about Outdoor Security Lights.