Having security cameras at home is a wise decision and a valuable investment. Even if it is not your first time tackling surveillance technology, it is essential to know how to install security cameras, so you get the most out of what you have purchased. Installing security cameras is not just a matter of mounting the cameras.
You need to make sure the placement is optimal, the wiring is correct, and you know how to control the cameras as they record or after the record. In the past, security camera installation required professionals, but homeowners can now easily set up their own system.
The Types of Security Camera
Knowing how to install security cameras will depend on what type of security cameras you have. There are three main types based on how the power source.
- If you have a wired security camera, then it is pretty self-explanatory. This type of security camera uses wires to connect to a power source and a source of internet connection.
- A wireless security camera is not entirely wireless. The “wireless” part refers to the Internet connection. This type of security camera still needs to be connected with a power cord.
- A wire-free security camera is one that does not need wires at all. It runs on a battery pack connects to the Internet wirelessly as well.
What type of security camera you choose depends on your needs and where you plan to install the cameras. Do you need to monitor an outdoor area? How about a hallway indoors? Do you need to have security cameras in your room? If you are planning to have your security cameras installed outdoors, you can save on wire extensions and wire maintenance by opting for wireless or wire-free security cameras.
How to Install Security Cameras
In this part, I will guide you on how to install security cameras, specifically outdoors. I will also provide steps on how to wire a camera system if you are not working with wire-free cameras.
- Choose a spot to mount your camera, but before installing it, check that there is no backlight or lens flare. It would be good to do this type of check during different times of the day since the light changes throughout the day. You should also consider nighttime lights, such as street lamps, porch lights, or the lights from inside your home.
- Mount the security camera in a place that is out of reach. No regular person should be touch or remove the security camera without some effort.
- Make sure the camera is not mounted too high that you cannot see people’s faces or that the Wi-Fi connection is poor. If the security camera’s location cannot be changed, consider installing a Wi-Fi extender to increase the reach of the signal.
To install a wired security system, follow these steps:
- After making the considerations above, find a stable spot on a wall.
- Most security cameras come with drywall screws, but others required the use of a stud finder.
- Check for any existing wiring, and make sure you do not damage them.
- Make the appropriate marks on the wall and drill in holes.
- Thread the wiring through the holes and back to the camera.
You no longer have to worry about security and safety now that you know how to install security cameras. Security systems these days are affordable and easy to set up by the average homeowner. You simply need to be strategic about your planning and placement. More importantly, make sure you are practicing safety when installing the cameras. In no time, you will have your very own home security system that you can proudly say you installed. Here’s how to learn more about Security Cameras.