Personal security cameras used to be available exclusively for the rich and wealthy because they were costly. Today, high-definition security cameras are available for ordinary consumers to use and equip their households from ruthless burglars and thieves. Knowing how to install outdoor security cameras expertly will be essential once you purchase the right security camera.
Security cameras are an excellent way of finding out who is nosing around your property. These cameras are usually located outside the house to detect incoming threats and to serve as a warning for intruders. We will discuss the different ways on how to install a camera outside the household, but before we do, let’s talk more about the cost of the camera and how to set it up..
Before, security cameras would cost a fortune, but now, with the technological advancements in cameras, the price has dropped significantly. The price drop is due to cameras being more prevalent in society than it was ever before. We can see cameras in our smartphones, computers, tablets, and many other gadgets out in the market today.
Various security cameras that range from the best brands, best quality, and the latest technological advancements are available at a reasonable price. There is no doubt that you will be able to see one that can fit your budget and needs. Outdoor cameras will prove to be more costly than indoor cameras because outdoor cameras will have the protective properties needed to withstand harsh weather conditions. In knowing how to install outdoor security cameras expertly, you should have these properties in mind when purchasing your camera.
The cost can also be determined on whether or not you will do the setup and installation yourself. The security camera you will purchase will come with a manual or installation guide, but if you are one that is not too tech-savvy, you may be in for a challenge. That is why other people prefer paying the extra amount to have a professional do all the work for them. In doing so, you will be looking at paying extra for the maintenance, installation, and professional fees.
There are generally three options you can go with when powering your camera. You can have it wired, wireless, or wire-free. Choosing the right one for your household will go hand in hand with knowing how to install outdoor security cameras securely. Let’s take a look at a brief description of each power option you can choose.
- Wired – This option means that your camera will rely on wires to connect to both the internet and power.
- Wireless – This option means that your camera can connect to the internet wirelessly but will require a cord for power.
- Wire-Free - This option means that your camera is wireless in connecting to the internet and power. The camera is powered by batteries eliminating the need for a cord.
Having the wired option might limit the placement or location of your camera, but it can provide you with a stable internet connection and continuous power.
Having the wire-free option offers unlimited possibilities on the location, but it requires frequent battery replacement and constant maintenance.
The security cameras today provide different ways of storing data recorded from your camera. There are two ways to store data via the cloud or local storage.
- Cloud – The cloud option will allow your feed to be uploaded directly to your phone or computer via the internet. You can view the footage anywhere and anytime using smart devices. The cloud also prevents burglars or trespassers from getting away with grabbing your camera and running away with the evidence.
- Local Storage - Although having local storage is proven to be riskier, some people still prefer the privacy and the convenience it provides. Local storage includes microSD cards, DVR’s, and NVR’s. When going with local storage, it is smart to know how to install outdoor security cameras expertly and hide the camera from danger.
How To Install Security Cameras Outside Your Home
The first thing on knowing how to install outdoor security cameras is to determine which of the three camera types you have. If you have a wired camera, the right spot would be the closes to a power socket. These are some steps you can follow when installing a wired camera.
- Find a robust and sturdy location near a power socket.
- Install the camera using screws in the desired place.
- Mark and drill appropriate holes for wiring to pass through.
- Thread the wires back to the monitoring source, power source, and internet source.
- Add casings to hide the cables and to prevent tampering or cutting of the cord which burglars tend to do.
If you have a wire-free camera, you can pick any location as long as it is easily accessible to you. Pick an area where it is convenient for you to check the camera and change the batteries regularly.
An excellent outdoor camera setup will require several cameras around the perimeter of the house. Each security camera should be targeting key entry points into the household. You can have a smaller field of view to cover the doors and windows to catch as much action or movement as possible.
There should also be cameras to cover a decent field of view of the lawn, garage, front porch, driveway and yard. These areas are usually where the burglars and thieves are first sighted. Having cameras in these places will allow you to determine where the trespassers came from and deal with that accordingly. Learn more about Outdoor Security Cameras.
Knowing how to install outdoor security cameras properly around the house is essential for every household. Our home is a place for priceless possessions that should be guarded with optimum accuracy. Another tip I would like to add is to use some fake cameras and mix them in with the real ones you have set in place. This will increase your warnings for trespassers and scare them. Just remember to consider investing in a good security camera with high-quality video and audio. The price of a security camera may be essential, but don’t let it be the deciding factor of your purchase. It is always better to be safe than sorry in the end.