How To Install Motion Sensor Light In The Garage
Our garage is a place where we park our car, keep our tools, store old things, and sometimes, we convert it to become a hang-out spot. It is also the best place to install a motion sensor light because the garage can be too dark during the night. And if you need to get something, finding the switch for the light is challenging. How to install motion sensor light in garage is as easy as installing a lightbulb. You can easily have this motion sensor working in no time as long as you have the right tools.
What is a Motion Sensor Light
A motion sensor light can switch on by itself once it detects movement. There is a specific area of detection for the sensors of this kind of light. If an animal or a person passes through it, the light will turn on. This is why having a motion sensor in any area of our house is excellent. It is to make sure that we can see things clearly during the night. Also, we will no longer have to exert much effort in looking for the light switch when it is dar. The motion sensor light will light itself up and allow you to do what you need to do.
Types of Motion Sensor Light
If you want to know how to install motion sensor light in the garage, you must know the different types for you to understand how to fix them properly.
- Motion sensor floodlight – Motion sensor floodlights are the ones that have high motion sensitivity and bright LED lights. Most of this kind of motion sensor lights are for outdoor installation. But it can also function as an indoor motion sensor light.
- Decorative – If you want to have a motion sensor light that compliments the way your house looks, you can have the decorative motion sensor light. There are different designs to choose from so that you will know which one matches your home's interior design. Also, this kind of motion sensor light is ideal for indoor use only because the construction of it is not as sturdy as the outdoor motion sensor lights.
- Remote – Remote motion sensor lights are only activated when you want. You are in control when it detects motion within its sensitivity range. This kind of motion sensor light is ideal for indoors.
An Easy Guide on How to Install Motion Sensor Light in Garage
If you decided to have a motion sensor light in the garage, you could always convert your existing light bulb into a motion sensor light. But if you want to have a new one installed, you can always find motion sensor lights in the market. Just choose which one you think will look best and convenient for you to install in your garage.
Here are the steps that you can follow to convert your light bulb to a motion sensor light.
- Get a motion sensor socket
- Unscrew your existing light bulb
- Screw the motion sensor to where the light bulb was
- Then screw the light bulb to the motion sensor socket
- Give it a test
It is a lot easier to convert an existing light bulb to a motion sensor light. But you need to keep the main switch on so that the motion sensor will always detect movement. Because if the main light switch is off, the motion sensor will not activate.
Here are the steps that you can follow on how to install motion sensor light in garage:
- Switch off the primary electrical source
- Install a larger box to hold the motion sensor light and the wirings that it needs.
- Connect the necessary wires. If you are not sure which wires to connect, use a voltage meter for you to know which is positive, negative, and ground wires. Also, use electrical tape to secure all the cables in its place.
- Mount the new fixture to the wall where the large box is.
- Mount the light sensors and aim it to the field of view that you want. Also, adjust the light bulbs to where you want them to point so that the light will be distributed in the room evenly.
- Adjust the controls of your motion sensor. You can adjust the distance and the sensitivity of the motion sensors. Also, there are some units where you can change the automatic shut off time.
- Test your motion sensor light by wave your hand in front of the sensor. Then ask someone to walk within the motion detection range and see if the adjustments are according to the way you want. If it is not, you can always readjust the controls and do the testing again.
Installing new motion sensor lights may take some time. But it will always be worth it because it will be easier for you to walk in your garage at night. With this device, you can detect if there are other movements in your garage during the night.
Benefits of a Motion Sensor Light
If you think that motion sensor lights are just for decoration, well, this kind of light is more than that. Here are the benefits that you can get if you decide to learn how to install motion sensor light in garage or around your house.
- See clearer during the night – During the night, it is usually hard for you to locate where the light switch is in your garage. However, if you have a motion sensor light, you will no longer have to worry about turning the lights on because it will automatically switch on. Also, you can see things clearer without tripping off from your feet because you step on something. Also, if you park your car in your garage, you no longer have to ask someone to check if you are about to hit something because the garage is well-lit, and it is enough for you to see your surroundings.
- Hands-free operation – If you want to get something real quick in your garage, all you need is to go there and grab whatever you need. The motion sensor light will switch on by itself without laying your hands on the light switch.
- Peace of mind – If you are asleep and you heard someone or something is moving in your garage, you can easily see who or what it was.
When it comes to installing a motion sensor light in your garage, you have two options: motion sensor socket or wired motion sensor lights. Both of these can give you the same benefit of lighting up your garage. You can even install this light all-around your house for extra security. Learning how to install motion sensor light in garage can help you gain more knowledge on how to install this kind of light anywhere you want. As long as you have the right tools to install, you are ready to give your house some extra lights for your safety. Know more about Motion Sensor Lights.
January 9, 2021
There will be times when you will be required to open a garage door manually, especially if you are dealing with a power outage or the garage door motor that won’t work.
January 2, 2021
Are you traveling with your kids? Whether it’s a quick trip to the local supermarket or a long drive, your kids will start finding things to play with.