Adding a lock to your cabinet could save your child’s life. No matter how old and big your kids are, they are still prone to accidents. You should keep your hazardous materials in a locked cabinet. Good thing, you can add a lock to your cabinets door. If you opted to install it on your own, here are the simple information on how to install child cabinet locks.
When Should You Install Child Cabinet Locks?
There is no definite answer to when you should start installing child cabinet locks, but you can start learning how to install child cabinet locks as early as now. It is never too early to start protecting your kids. If you are capable, you can start planning during your pregnancy. You evaluate your home and make a plan.
The most important time to start childproofing your cabinet locks is before your baby starts crawling.
How to Childproof Drawers
You can learn how to install child cabinet locks and how to childproof drawer on your own. You think that the only danger of drawers to your children lies only from what is on the inside. However, your child could potentially:
- Access the dangerous objects from your drawers, such as medication or knives.
- Close their fingers in the drawers.
- Pull a drawer out on themselves.
- Pull a free-standing dresser on top of them.
- Use the drawers as a ladder to climb up high.
The following are the three different ideas to childproof your drawers.
Remove Any Harmful Objects
Children are naturally wild. As they get older, your childproof-security system will become weaker. The best option you can do is to get rid of dangerous objects in your drawers. The following are the items that you must remove or place out of reach:
- Any pointed or sharp objects
- Any potential choking hazard
- Cleaning supplies
- Small electrical items such as flat irons and more
You must take all of these objects or any hazardous materials. Don’t rely on drawer locks. Every firearm must be kept and stored properly. One safety tip, you can use plastic Tupperware containers to store smaller objects.
Use an Adjustable Safety Lock
If you want a single-lock system for your multiple drawers around your home, you can try an adjustable safety lock. An adjustable lock has two plastic anchors on either side and a strip of silicone or plastic in the middle. The following is the pros and cons of using an adjustable safety lock:
- Pros: It can be used on a wide variety of drawer sizes. It is also easy to install and open.
- Cons: It can secure your drawer. It isn’t easy to place this on the drawers in your kitchen.
Use a Magnetic Lock
One of the most popular ways to childproof your drawers is by using a lock. The latch with a strong magnet is installed inside the drawer, and it can prevent it from being opened.
The Simple Ways to Install Child Cabinet Locks
Before attempting installation, you must check your product’s user manual or the installation guide for the most accurate step-by-step instructions. You can install it on your own. If you have no idea how to install child cabinet locks, the simple ways to install child cabinet locks are as follows:
- Open the cabinet you would like to install the cabinet. If possible, place all poisonous materials and sharp objects in high cabinets and push them to the back of the countertops during installation.
- Hold the cabinet lock in the upper corner of the cabinet door. On the side opposite of the door hinge, push the locking bar on the cabinet lockdown so the cabinet door can open again.
- Still, on the cabinet lock, with your one hand, use a pencil to mark the screw holes plan to use enough screws to hold the lock firmly in place. Note that you may not need to use all the screw holes or all the screws provided.
- Line up the luck using matching pencil marks and start one of the screws in the first hole.
- Use a screwdriver to tighten the first few screws. In installing the lock, do not completely tighten all the screws until the lock is tested a few times.
- Close the door of the cabinet to ensure the lock is located in the correct position.
- Use a power drill, if any. It would be helpful to drill shallow pilot holes first with the small drill bits. It will help get the screws started. If you have one, you can use your power drill with the driver bit to finish tightening any remaining screws. Otherwise, use a regular screwdriver to tighten the final screws by hand.
- Lastly, close the door completely to lock the cabinet. Try to pull the door open and check if the cabinet is securely locked. Then, push down on the lock to be sure the cabinet can be opened if needed.
I hope you learned how to install child cabinet locks. Ensure that after the procedure, clean up your work area and remove the remaining screws and small parts. Put away any tools since they could be dangerous to your children. Remember to prioritize your child’s safety. Know more about Cabinet Locks.