Cabinet latches are the best way to protect not only the things inside your cabinet from your pets and your kids, but they also work the other way around. Learning how to install safety first cabinet and drawer latches will help you make your home a safer place for your children and fur babies. In this article, I will teach you how to install cabinet latches, and I mean different kinds of cabinet latches.
How to Install Cabinet Latches
Learning how to install cabinet latches is essential, especially for those who have kids or fur babies. They tend to get curious and open cabinets and drawers, which often lead to catastrophe inside the house. Of course, you need to find the best safety latch for your cabinets. Make sure that the one you choose isn’t too expensive and are durable enough.
One of the safest cabinet latches is the magnetic lock. However, it would help if you made sure that the magnet on your magnetic locks is powerful.
- Put the magnetic base on the lower part of the cabinet shelf.
- Align the front base to the edge of the shelf.
- Make pencil marks on the mounting holes.
- Drill holes into the pencil marks.
- Screw the magnetic base to the shelf using a screwdriver.
- Position the striker inside the cabinet door and make sure that it is across the magnet.
- Drill a hole into the entrance of the cabinet using the striker as a guide.
- Screw the striker to the door using a countersunk screw.
- Check if everything is aligned by closing and opening the doors of the cabinet.
- Retighten or loosen the screws if needed then test again.
This next type of safety lock is designed for double door cabinets. They fit around knobs and ties the knobs together until they get released by pushing two surfaces.
- Mark the location for the latches.
- Mark the spot for the screws to go through.
- Fasten the latch.
- At the other side of the cabinet, fasten the hole for the hinge to go through.
- Check if the slide lock is on point.
Adhesive Strap Locks
In learning how to install cabinet latches, you will encounter learning how to install adhesive strap locks. When installing adhesive strap locks, you need to ensure that the surface you are going to install it in is cleaned. After installing the adhesives, allow twenty-four hours for it to set before applying pressure.
The next kind of safety first latches is spring-action locks, which are designed for double-door cabinets. They fit around adjacent knobs and are tied together and released by pushing two surfaces.
- Mark the area where you want to install spring locks.
- Hold the parts of the locks in place while you screw them on to the cabinet.
- Test if it works or locks.
- Test if it can be unlocked.
You can find the tools to screw the spring locks on to the cabinet in the package that it comes with. Make sure to charge your drill before using it so that you won’t have any problems when drilling the screws through the cabinet.
Why Do You Need to Learn How to Install Cabinet Latches
It would help if you learned how to install cabinet latches, especially when you have a kid or when you have fur babies in your house or within the vicinity of your cabinets. This is because they are your only defense against disasters such as going home to a clutter of your silverware on the floor or going to shredded tissue papers. Safety first drawer latches will help protect your little ones from getting hurt by the cabinet’s door or the things inside the cabinet like cutlery and other silverware. Know more about Cabinet Latches.
In this article, I discussed the types and how to install cabinet latches, which should give you a head start when it comes to keeping the objects inside your cabinets safe from your children’s reach, and vice versa. I also discussed why it is important that you need to learn these. This is about cutting costs; it is also about learning how to keep your children, pets, and belongings safe inside your home.