It might be difficult to place a grab bar inside a fiberglass shower since there usually is a gap between the shower and the wall frame. Fiberglass is so fragile that it might crack when the weight it tries to support is heavy. It can be a challenge, but in this article, you will learn the easy and proper ways on how to install a grab bar in a fiberglass shower.
The General Rules on Installing a Grab Bar
You must also know the general rules when learning how to install a grab bar in a fiberglass shower. Grab bars or safety bars should be placed at the shower and tub’s safest place, and it should be located where every one of the family could reach it.
Following are the rules to consider to install a grab bar in a fiberglass shower:
- Coordinate and plan with the person who will be using the grab bars to know where and where the grab bars should be placed.
- Choose grab bars that are ADA compliant to ensure maximum safety.
- Most of the grab bars can support a maximum of 300 pounds of weight. When the person weighs more than 300 pounds – there are some safety bars available that can support up to 500 pounds of weight like this one from Moen.
- All grab bar mounting brackets must be attached to wall studs with bolts.
- If you want to install a grab bar in a Fiberglass shower surround, you must use a specific type of grab bar mounting brackets y made for fiberglass installations.
The Guidelines for Choosing Grab Bars
You must also know the guideline for choosing grab bars aside from learning how to install a grab bar in a fiberglass shower. Most grab bars or safety bars are made of stainless steel to prevent commotion; they also have different sizes, but most bars have the proportions of 18 inches to 24 inches long with a diameter of 11/2 inches. And some bars are added with some textures to provide more safety for every family member. Here are the guidelines in choosing grab bars:
- If placing a grab bar at the edge of the bathtub, you have to choose an 18 inches size or longer for vertical placement at your bathtub’s sidewall.
- If mounting an angle for grab bars, you should first locate the studs to fasten the grab bars and measure it correctly and adequately; the grab bars will be 24 inches long.
- You have to choose a grab bar that is 32 inches long or longer for horizontal grab bars.
- It would be best if you also chose grab bars that 11/2 inches long in diameter.
- When placing a grab bar onto a wall, you should leave more than 11/2 inches between the wall and grab bars.
How to Install a Grab Bar in a Fiberglass Shower
These are the simple steps to follow on how to install a grab bar in a fiberglass shower:
- You need to cut a 2-inch hole in the fiberglass shower wall on the traced circles with a 2-inch hole saw.
- You even have to measure the length of the space between the stud and the top surface of the shower wall.
- It would be best to cut the grab bar mounting spacers to that length using a utility knife.
- And last, you have to drill a pilot hole with a 3/16 inch drill bit into each stud.
Before installing grab bars at your shower, you must also consider the following rules:
- The vertical entrance bar should go close to the shower door.
- The horizontal bar should be at the sidewall; it should be 34-36 inches above the floor.
- The vertical bar on the faucet end wall should be near the faucet handles.
Some Tips for Installing a Grab Bar
Following tips might help you install the grab bars efficiently:
- The vertical entrance bar should be placed on the opposite side of the wall of the faucet.
- A horizontal bar should be installed on the sidewall and should belong; it should be 30 inches above the bathtub floor.
- There should be another vertical bar installed at the end wall near the faucet handles.
Now you know how to install a grab bar in a fiberglass shower. Fiberglass is flexible and can bend when it carries heavy, and this may cause the glass to crack. It is best to prevent this to avoid the water from leaking. Therefore, grab bars should be placed in a safer place. The good thing about installing grab bars in your bathtub or shower is that it will reduce the chances for someone to fall or slip. Here’s how to learn more about Grab Bars.