How To Clean Safety Glasses: The Do’s And Don’ts
If you are working in a construction site, an auto-repair shop, a laboratory, you usually use high-quality safety glasses to make sure your eyes are protected. Dust and other dangerous chemicals in the workplace, particularly those mentioned, can be hazardous and permanently damage your vision. However, you ask yourself: “how to clean safety glasses.”
In this article, you will learn more about what safety glasses are, their benefits, what to do, and not to do in cleaning or sanitizing them. Curious? Well, read on!
What Are Safety Glasses?
Before we delve into how to clean safety glasses, let us know what these things are and what they are for. Safety glasses, or goggles, are protective eyewear used by people in the construction, welding, auto repair, manufacturing, laboratories, and even sports groups.
These safety glasses are of polycarbonate material, which makes them impact-resistant and lightweight. They come in different lenses—they can be clear, tinted, bifocal, anti-fog, polarized, filtered, and many more!
Their purpose is to shield your eyes from any hazards, such as flying solid debris, chemical splashes, the impact from mobile equipment, heat or sparks from welding.
The Benefits of Safety Glasses
Safety glasses, as mentioned, are meant to protect your eyes. They are perfect tools in making sure that your eyesight will not be damaged. Here are some of the benefits of using safety glasses:
- They prevent foreign objects that float around, like dirt, dust, pollen, or wood, from irritating your eyes and cause lasting damage.
- They shield your eyes from splashes of grease, oil, chemicals, or fumes. They also stop you from rubbing your eyes.
- They protect your eyes from UV light exposure.
- They also prevent your eyes from developing eyestrain, blurred vision, and dry eyes caused by Computer Vision Syndrome.
- They are fashionable to wear and designed to fit your needs, especially for your work environment.
You do not have to only rely on your sunglasses or prescription glasses. Safety glasses exist to prevent you from all potential hazards.
How to Clean Safety Glasses
Using it daily at work means that your safety glasses are exposed usually to debris, dust, and whatever hazardous chemicals are around. Not cleaning it will surely affect your vision and may even damage the glasses. That is why it is important always to clean your safety glasses.
Now let us answer the query: “How to clean safety glasses?” Here are some tips to properly care and clean for your safety glasses:
- Inspect your safety glasses if they are dirty or scratched. Having these on the lenses can lessen your vision and can eventually end up cracking. Avoid soaking them with sweat and over-usage.
- After inspection, dust off any dirt or debris from the safety goggles.
- Soak them in water before applying a mild detergent. Apply the detergent thoroughly with your index finger.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush to clean the frames. Apply little pressure to avoid scratching the lens.
- Rinse them using lukewarm water to clear off the remaining debris and dust from the frames and lenses.
- To dry the lenses, use a microfiber cloth. You can also use a microfiber bag in cleaning the lenses.
- Finally, always place them in their cases after use. You can also attach a neck cord or retention strap to hang them easily on your neck when not in use.
How Not to Clean Safety Glasses
You now know the proper way of how to clean safety glasses. You must remember that you have to treat your safety glasses as you would your fashion designer sunglasses or prescription glasses—with the utmost care. What you should not do to your safety glasses are the following:
- Do not use a shop rag, paper towel, your shirt, or facial tissues to wipe clean your safety glasses. Regular cloth has fibers that can scratch the lens of your safety glasses.
- Do not overuse your safety glasses.
- Do not clean them using bleach or alcohol. Polycarbonate will react to these substances and will surely break down in the long run.
- Do not use ammonia or acidic products as well.
- Do not use windows or glass cleaners.
Avoid doing these, and surely, your safety glasses will outlast any of your eyewear.
Now you know how to clean safety glasses! The only thing left is for you to apply all the things you have learned in properly caring for this eyewear. Remember, safety glasses have varying purposes. Always make sure you familiarize yourself with these steps on how to sanitize your safety glasses. Also, keep in mind the things you should not do when cleaning your glasses as well. That way, your glasses will last longer than expected. Know more about Safety Glass.
February 5, 2021
If you hear a squeaky sound every time you will open and close the garage door, take it as a cue that its parts are either worn out or needed a grease