How To Change Outdoor Security Light Bulb
The invention of outdoor security light bulbs is an essential addition to outdoor security systems. One of the most effective ways to limit suspicious movement around any area is the presence of light. But just like any other tool, it will need basic maintenance. In this article, we will show you some easy and practical steps on how to change outdoor security light bulb.
Security Light Bulb Types and How To Change Them
Outdoor security lights are an inexpensive way to set up your outdoor security system. They have useful features that become psychological deterrents against criminal activity. Studies show that the crime rate is lessened by at least 39% because of the presence of outdoor security lights. And because we put them up for security reasons, it is vital to know proper maintenance.
These security lights come in different types and different components. We will go through each of them, followed by how to change outdoor security light bulb steps.
LED FLOOD LIGHTS
This type of security light provides powerful illumination to a broader area. LED lights are mostly maintenance-free and have a lifespan of 30,000 hours. This means changing bulbs for LED lights will not be as frequent.
How to change LED flood light:
STEP 1: Switch off the power to your LED floodlights.
Security lights can be wired to any circuit, so it is best to turn the main power off. You can lock the switch off so no one will accidentally turn it on. This first step is for your safety.
STEP 2: Loosen the screws with a screwdriver to open the front cover of your floodlight.
STEP 3: Remove the bulb that needs replacement.
STEP 4: Handle your replacement bulb with care.
You should wear gloves when handling your new bulb. This is so you do not get your fingerprints on the bulb, which will cause it to burn out prematurely.
STEP 5: Situate both of the metal conductors of your new bulb to each end of your floodlight.
For this step, make sure the bulb is tight in place before closing the flood lamp cover.
STEP 6: Put some grease on the screw that holds the cover in place.
The grease will prevent the screw from getting stuck. This step will ensure you do not have problems with replacement in the future.
- Close the lamp cover and tighten the screw.
- Switch the electricity back on.
- These types of security lights add a pleasant ambiance and an aesthetic touch to your home. Some of them come in small sizes for your walkways and have waterproof and motion sensing features that would be perfect for the outdoors. Solar lights are powered by batteries that store the sun’s energy. That means you won’t need an electrician for solar lights. Solar lights lose a lot of its functionality because of weak batteries and not bulbs. That said, here are a few tips when working on your solar lights.
How to troubleshoot your solar lights:
Check if it is a battery issue or a bulb issue. Most solar lights operate on rechargeable batteries, so you must first check if the problem is the bulb or the battery.
Take apart the light fitting. Most of these solar outdoor lights are held together by screws. You can gently take it apart while making a mental note for reassembly.
Remove batteries. Recharge your light’s removable batteries. If your batteries are soldered or stuck in, leave them as-is.
Ensure your solar lights are exposed to the sun. The reason why some lights weaken is that it is not exposed to sufficient sunlight. Keep these types of lights away from the shade so you can be sure they will perform their best at night.
Clean your solar light’s casing. The reason why light may be a little dull is that the casing might be dirty. Before removing the bulb and replacing it, make sure the housing is clean. For this step, you can use warm water and washing liquid.
Remove the LED light and replace it with a new LED bulb. Solar lights usually use LED bulbs. You must handle the bulbs with care if you feel there is a need to change the bulbs.
Test functionality in darkness. You have to remember that solar lights work at night. You can use your hand to cover the panel and test if it works. This is the last step in knowing how to change outdoor security light bulb for solar lights.
NOTE: Solar lights also come with an on and off switch. Do not forget to check that the switch is turned ON when testing functionality.
MOTION SENSOR SECURITY LIGHTS
- This security light is highly energy efficient because it only comes on when it senses movement. It saves energy by shutting off when no one is present, thus increasing its hours of lighting. Some models reach 50,000 hours with varying modes of brightness.
How to change outdoor security light bulb with a motion sensor:
- Switch off the main power for your safety.
- It is also wise to inform other people, so they don’t accidentally turn it on.
- Use a lint-free cloth.
- You can put this cloth between your skin and the light bulb to keep your hands safe
- Rotate the bulb counterclockwise until it comes loose from the socket.
- Do not rush when doing this so that the bulb doesn’t suddenly slide off.
- Slide the new bulb into the socket while still using the lint-free cloth.
- This way, your new bulb will be protected from dust or other debris from your hands.
- Dispose of the old bulb, following manufacturer instructions.
- Do not forget to be environmentally safe and aware.
When we have security systems installed, we feel much safer if we know proper maintenance. We can’t always rely on professionals to be there for us 24/7. That is why knowing how to troubleshoot our security lighting system or how to change outdoor security light bulb, become useful bits of knowledge to give us peace of mind.