A swimming pool in your backyard is a great additional feature for the majority of homeowners or tenants. However, having a swimming pool could also mean considerable home safety and security hazard. That is why knowing how to build a swimming pool fence can help you keep this area in your background child and pet friendly.
Pools are designed to supply a pleasant home view and ensure luxury and style. It is a place where you and your family can have a fun-time. However, without supervision, this place can also be dangerous, especially for young ones. There are many types of pool fencing you can choose from. You can opt for the strongest materials or the most creative. The key to an effective pool fencing is to assess what you really need depending on your pool type, and background construction design.
Pros and Cons of Swimming Pool Fence
If you’re planning on learning how to build a swimming pool fence, here are some things to consider:
Installing a fence around your pool is the best thing you could do for your family and pets. It could bring some satisfaction, knowing that you are decreasing any possibilities of disasters. If the fencing you choose is tall enough, and not see-through, it can also offer a sense of privacy and exclusivity. A fence can include a charming layout element to your swimming pool as well. You can utilize different materials to make your pool area incredibly attractive.
When you build a fence around your property, you create a restricted means to obtain entry. The only access to your swimming pool is the gates in your fence. A fence also reduces the visibility of your swimming pool. If you prefer your pool as part of your home aesthetic, a fence may impede your view. Pool fencings could be costly as well. To appropriately install functional fencing around your pool, expect to spend a few hundred bucks.
Pool Fencing Ideas and Tips
Before you can complete how to build a swimming pool fence, you must be aware of the pool safety regulations for your state first. This ensures that your pool and fence are compliant with any local legislation.
Several rules differ from state to state that you need to follow when installing a pool fence. As an example, the child-resistant fence requirements in NSW are:
- Pool fence height should be 1200mm.
- 900mm gap between the upper and lower horizontal components of the fence to secure a non-climbable zone.
- Maximum 100mm gap under the fence.
- Maximum 100mm gap between barrier components, to allow for any flex in the component material.
- Non-climbable zone should be 300mm from the barrier into the pool area and 900mm outside of the pool area.
- Steps, retaining walls, objects or level changes should be 500mm away from the barrier
- No landscaping and other fixtures or furniture within the non-climbable zone.
By following these regulations and building a strong and practical fence around your pool area, you can be assured that your pool is safe for your youngsters and pets. There are several attractive pool fence materials to choose from if you’re worried about the fence being an eyesore.
Pool fence options
How to build a swimming pool fence can be done using any material you want, so long as it complies with the pool regulations. The fence should not have sharp edges, entrapping spaces, sharp projections, or any other similar hazards.
There are many types of pool fences, like glass, mesh, and aluminum that have offer different advantages and disadvantages:
- Glass– Glass is one of the most appealing and luxurious types of fencing to keep the view of your pool unobstructed while maintaining the required safety barrier requirements. Glass fencing is also climb-resistant and durable. However, it is also one of the most expensive types of pool fences to install and repair.
- Mesh- Mesh pool fencing is a breeze to install and uninstall. It’s also relatively affordable. It works well as a temporary pool fence too. It has various colors, heights, and styles you can choose from. Mesh fencing is mildew resistant, as well as rip, and fade-proof. It is also climb-resistant, making it a perfect option for households with kids.
- Aluminum- Aluminum pool fencing is the most durable, low maintenance, and most reliable of all types of pool fencing. It is also relatively easy to install and blends well with any backyard design. For these reasons, aluminum pool fencing is one of the most popular choices for pool owners. But, aluminum fencing does require regular cleaning and occasional repairs.
To ensure the safety and security of your pool, frequently check your fences and access points. The safety of your family and visitors should be your top priority when it comes to having a swimming pool. Installing and maintaining pool fences correctly is essential to minimizing the risk of drowning incidents in your backyard.
The only possibility that might keep people away from installing a DIY fence is a simple fact it is time-consuming. Professional installation of pool fences can be very costly, depending on the materials you prefer. However, if you have patience and a little creativity, you can make your very own pool fence. You only need to decide on which materials you prefer to use. With some power drills and simple tools, you can easily complete how to build a swimming pool fence. Here’s how to learn more about Safety Gates.