How To Build A Retractable Pet Gate From Scratch
A DIY retractable pet gate would be better than buying one since it is cheaper, and we can choose our design and color that suits our style. There are reasons why we need to build a retractable pet gate. Most importantly, it keeps them safe and secure while we are away. If you want to build a pet gate for your pet, but you don't know how, here are the simple tips on how to build a retractable pet gate.
The Different Types of Retractable Pet Gates
One of the basic things you have to learn while learning how to build a retractable pet gate is to know the different types of retractable pet gate. When you learn it, you will have an idea before building a retractable pet gate.
Following are the different types of retractable pet gate:
Retractable Safety Pet Gate
It is usually made from a durable mesh material that serves as a screen barrier. It is lightweight, and when not in use, it can be rolled up easily. This safety pet gate fits almost any entryway.
These are the most popular type of retractable pet gates. These are simple and easy to use.
This type of gate is usually lightweight and is easy to store.
The DIY Retractable Pet Gate
You can find a lot of tutorials on how to build a retractable pet gate. This safety pet gate would come in handy, especially during holidays, and some of the guests are not animal friendly. Your pet can still be out in the open while at a distance from your guests.
You may follow the guide below on how to build a retractable pet gate:
The following are the materials on how to build a retractable pet gate:
- 1 pc. – 4x8 inches plastic lattice
- 4 pcs. – 8 inches plastic lattice caps
- Tape measure
- 4-foot level or other straight-edge
- Circular saw
- Safety glasses
- Hot glue gun
- 16 pcs. – ½ inch #4 screws
- 6 pcs. – 2 inches narrow hinges
- Liquid white-out
The following are the instructions on how to build a retractable pet gate:
- Using a tape measure and a pencil, mark the plastic lattice from the bottom at several points along with one of the long edges by 18 inches.
- Use the level to connect the dots and get a straight line to cut.
- Slowly but surely, cut along the line to create an 18-inch by 8-foot piece then set aside the panels.
- Mark and cut the lattice caps that will make up the frame of each panel.
- Use the speed square to mark a 45-degree angle.
- Ensure the "opening" of the cap is at the bottom of your angle, the thick part of the cap, which is ¼ inch and multiplied by 2 to get ½ inch.
- Add it to 18-inches, and you will need to make all of your trim pieces to 18 ½ inches from the long point of the angle to the long point. You only have to do it once. After that, you can place your cut piece on top to measure the remaining 15 trim pieces.
- Time to assemble. Use hot-glue to hold the frames together. Glue 3 sides for each panel then slide in the lattice.
- Identify the right side and make them the front of the gate then attach the screw to the top and bottom corners of the panel. Do this to all of the panels.
- To make it collapsible, put the hinge side that opens at least against the panel's side. You can now open and close it as much as possible, and the limitations of the hinge won't hinder you.
- Attach two hinges on each panel (3 inches from the top and 3 inches from the bottom).
- Set another panel side by side, and then attach the hinge to the new panel.
- Attach the other panel to the other side of one of those panels. When you switch the hinge, the gate will create the same effect as a room screen.
- Once the hinges attach all four panels, you should have one hinge with the hinge part facing one and 2 with the hinge part facing the other way.
- Keep it folded up and paint the screw heads for finishing touches.
- Assembly is complete.
The Things to Consider on Building a Retractable Pet Gate
The following are some of the things to consider on building a retractable pet gate:
Choose a material that would last long (durable but lightweight).
Size of Your Pet
During the planning stage, you have to consider the size of your pet.
Mood of Your Pet
Some pets love to chew things, while others would like to jump. These are some of the pets' attitudes that need to be considered when making a safety pet gate.
Pets have their way of making a way to escape. Choose a design that would make the pets stay in a particular area.
Make sure that the safety pet gate will complement the design and features of your home.
Work with the budget without compromising the quality of the safety pet gate.
It is very easy to learn how to build a retractable pet gate. A DIY retractable pet gate is better than buying one. A customized retractable pet gate will give you the liberty to choose the materials and design you want. Here's how to learn more about Pets Safety.
November 6, 2020
It’s not only fire that can threaten to ruin your home. If you reside in a flood-prone area, or a pipe bursts in your basement, floods can happen, which can ruin your household items and appliances.