Thieves have mastered the ability to find valuable things, no matter how much you hide it. They can even manage to open closed cabinets and safes. With this, you have to build something unexpected like the hidden safe installed into anywhere in your house. Learning how to build a hidden safe is one of the things that you should master. If you can make something that is unpredictable, burglars cannot find a way to see and take your essential items.
Places Where You Can Install Safe
There are a lot of places in your house where you can install safes. Make sure you choose the area where you can easily access it, like your bedroom or kitchen. Placing it in an attic or stock room can make it hard for you to access anytime as you have to climb or go down, and you will end up not using it. So, if you plan to learn how to build a hidden safe but undecided as to where to place it, here are a few suggested places where you can install it.
- On a Shelf Against the Wall – If your safe is not too big, it can be placed in the cabinet. If your wall is not made of cement or concrete, you can create an opening that is enough for the safe to insert, allowing only the door to be visible. The shelf has enough height that makes you comfortable to access it. You don’t have to bend if you need to take or place something.
- In the Wall – This is applicable if your safe is not too deep, which you can easily embed on the wall. Be sure your wall is thick to support the weight of the safe. Creating a hole on the wall is not easy, so you will need someone knowledgeable or a professional, especially if your wall is made of concrete or cement.
- In the Floor – Learn how to build a hidden safe. And if you are decided, you can install it on the floor. However, this is not applicable if your floor is made of wood. There is no point in placing it on the wood floor as anyone can pull and remove it. So, put it into a concrete floor or cemented floor. This is a right place as burglars won’t be able to think that a safe is hidden there. However, since it is on the floor, water or dust can get in through the locks’ holes and damage whatever you out on it. But, if you have decided to place it on the floor, who has to choose the area away from water and make sure to clean it regularly.
- Inside a Cabinet – Most of the safe users are comfortable placing their safes inside the cabinet. This is the most common method of keeping a safe hidden. It is attached to the cabinet’s body, so thieves will not be able to easily take it.
- In the wall of the Closet Behind Clothes – If you want you safe to be hidden and inaccessible to anyone, you can choose to install it in your closet’s wall behind your clothes. Since it is your closet, you are the only one who can access it unless you allow other people to open. Safe owners highly recommend this. However, building this may not be easy, especially if you have concrete walls. So, you will need a professional to do it for you.
Installing Safe on the Wall
Before you start buying materials in building a wall safe, you have to plan where to place the safe. Burglars only have few minutes to ransack your house and look for things that they can get. So, you have to learn how to build a hidden safe into the place that is accessible to you but commonly ignored by thieves, like the wall in your closet behind your clothes. Or the wall behind the door. Your bathroom wall is also a good place.
Installation is not easy. If you have a cement or concrete wall, you need to hire someone to do it for you. But if you have Drywall, you can do the installation yourself and follow the below procedure:
- Purchase a Safe – Your first step would be to buy a safe that can fit into the wall. You need to measure the thickness of the wall where you plan to place it. Then pick the safe that has a deepness matched with the width of the wall.
- Measure and mark the wall – Once you have chosen your safe, measure its width or length. Then mark your wall with the same measurement for cutting. You can put allowance to it so it won’t be too tight when you place the safe.
- Cut and remove the Drywall – Using a heavy-duty cutter, cut the Drywall following the mark you put on the wall. Then once you are done cutting, remove the cut Drywall.
- Insert the Safe – Clear the area where you cut the Drywall. Predrill the hole for mounting of the safe. Then insert the safe and screw it through the drilled hole.
- Finishing Touch – Test whether the safe is already stable by opening and closing the safe’s door. Apply the necessary adjustment. Once everything is done, you can place a lock or set a combination.
Safes are made to keep your important documents secure. While there can be different safe available in the market with various features and sizes, you can pick the one that matches your needs. However, these safe can be challenging to hide, and if you have the smaller ones, it can be easily taken by thieves. That is why you should learn how to build a hidden safe. Instead of placing the safe anywhere, you can just install it into the wall of your room. With this technique, no one will know that a safe is hidden in the area. Know more about Fireproof Safes.