Understandably, you do not want your canine companions running around your home until they manage to it down. There are times when you want them to stay in a place, and the best tool to keep them in one area in the house is a dog gate. Building a dog gate can be quite challenging if you are not used to carpentry and even minor woodwork. However, learning how to build a dog gate for inside the house is a great project for DIY beginners.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Here are some of the frequently asked questions and answers that will give you an idea of how to build a dog gate for inside to get you started:
What Kinds of Tools Do You Need to Build a Dog Gate?
The tools you need to complete this project are just simple tools. These are a Kreg Jig, a miter saw, and a drill. You might also want to have an assortment of clamps handy since they can also be very useful when you start putting the project together. You can check out for available tutorials online if there are some tools that function is not familiar to you. There is a lot of useful videos you can see on YouTube.
What Type of Wood That Would Make a Dog Gate?
Any wood could be used to make a dog gate. Most dog gates are made out of common pine. However, woods like poplar, maple, and oak are great to use too.
Can You Buy Pre-Cut Wood?
Yes, you can buy pre-cut wood at your nearest Home Depot. If in case there aren’t any pre-cut wood available, you can purchase wood at Home Depot and have it cut. The first 12 cuts are free, then the remaining additional cuts are charged at $.25 per cuts. Just be very specific with the measurements.
How to Build a Dog Gate for Inside the House?
Below are the supplies and equipment that you will need in how to build a dog gate for inside the home. Just remember that it is a freestanding gate.
- 3 pieces 1x3x8 inches of wood
- Wood glue
- 1.25 inches Pocket Screws
- 2 pieces Hinged 2-inch x 1.38 inches
- Tape measure
- Miter saw
- Kreg Jig
- Using a piece of wood, cut four pieces of 1” x 3” for the legs.
- Using the remaining woodcut, another four pieces of 1″ x 3″ for the rails and six pieces of 1″ x 3″ for the slats and drill pocket holes in each end.
- Now, it is time to assemble the gate panels. In your workstation, layout two legs, two rails, and three slats. Make sure that the slats are spaced1.38″ apart. To be sure about the exact spaces between slats, you can cut eight pieces of scrap wood measuring 1.38,” and you can place it in between the slats.
- Make sure to apply glue to the end of the rails and the slats, then attach 1.25” pocket screws. Just repeat this step to create the other panel.
- At this point, you need to layout the gate panels side by side. On the top of the gate, but one hinge and place another hinge at the gate’s bottom. Using the screws that come with the hinges, attach the hinges to the panel.
You can stop at step number 5 – you have already completed a freestanding dog gate. However, you can paint or stain your gate to make it look for pleasing. If you also wish to attach the panels to a certain space, you can add hinges.
The good thing about this design is that this is versatile you can add more, if you are trying to cover a longer space, you can add more. If you are considering other dog gate designs, you can always check out sites online. Find out more about Dog Gates.
There is nothing wrong about keeping your pet at a certain space in your house for some time. Other than being able to monitor their behavior, you can keep them from running around your house, especially when you have guests and you need to keep the house in order. This guide provides you with very useful information as to how to build a dog gate for inside the house. The good thing about this freestanding dog gate is that it’s very easy to use and customizable to fit larger openings, spaces, or doors. So, this is a great project for beginners. Good luck!