How To Add A Lock To A Cabinet Door
The home is supposed to be the safest place on earth, and yet we often hear accidents happen in the house due to a lack of a home security system. From poisoning accidents to injuries with sharps involving children and household members with dementia, all these can be avoided with a single safety appliance in place- a cabinet with a reliable lock. Cabinets are probably the most common furniture at home. They serve quite a lot of functions, such as keeping valuables and safekeeping hazardous elements and so you would want them built strong and sturdy. But durability is not enough for it to fully serve its purpose of safekeeping. It must come with a dependable lock. Therefore, it is high time to install locks on those cabinets at home. Here are tips on how to add lock to a cabinet.
Things to Consider When Installing Cabinet Locks
Design - Cabinet locks come in various designs, and some are intended for specific door types. So, just before you shop for the locks that you would like to install in those cabinets, it pays to familiarize your cabinet and know which type of lock suits the furniture. Doing so will prevent errors in purchasing and avert erroneous drilling in the cabinets, which is a major disaster.
Materials- Adding locks to cabinets is no daunting task. Some locks don’t require drilling, while some locks may employ the use of simple tools. Be sure to keep the following at hand before starting the task of how to add lock to cabinet.
- Measuring tape
Types of Cabinet Door Locks and How to Install Them
Door locks are installed differently depending on its type. Be sure to follow through the guide enumerated below.
Magnetic Cabinet Locks
This type of lock works for cabinet doors with 1.5-inch thickness. What’s also great about this lock is it invisible from the outer side of the cabinet, and installation does not require any tool. The set is composed of a lock catch, a hook, and a magnetic key. Here’s how to add lock to cabinet using magnetic cabinet locks.
- Clean the surface of the cabinet where the locks are to be installed using alcohol prep pads so the adhesives will latch on correctly.
- Figure out where you want the lock to be placed and mark it. It can be located on the top, bottom, or side of the cabinet door.
- Remove the cover from the 3M adhesive tape of the lock catch and secure it on the edge of the cabinet frame with the center facing towards you.
- Install the lock on the cabinet door to the level of the lock catch for a seamless look. You can mark the spot using the pencil to be sure it's perfectly aligned.
- Test the magnetic lock keys by closing the door and drawing the magnetic key to the lock's location.
- Secure the key on the wall where you can easily find them, but it is safe enough for the kids to catch.
Sliding Cabinet Door Locks
This type of cabinet door locks only works for cabinets with doors that close and opens in the center and uses handle hoops and is not suitable for cabinet doors with knobs. The best thing about this kind of lock is that it is easy to install and requires no tools, drilling, nor adhesives. Here’s how to add lock to cabinet using buckle locks.
- Remove the buckle from the main body of the lock by merely pressing on the two buttons.
- To secure the cabinet doors, place the lock on the cabinet handle hoops and slide the buckle until the doors can no longer move an inch.
- Opening the lock is as easy as installing it. Push the two buttons to loosen the buckle and slide it open.
Push-Down Cabinet Door Locks
While the first two locks discussed above do not require drilling, this type of cabinet door lock doesn’t make use of keys. As its name suggests, the lock can be opened by a simple push-down mechanism of the notch within the lock. In installing a push-down cabinet door lock, you will need some help from simple tools mentioned above, but it’s still a job you can easily pull-off on your own. Here’s how to do it:
- Ensure you have enough space to work with by opening the cabinet completely to gain full access to the inner part of the door.
- Position the cabinet lock on the top of the door opposite the hinges. Ensure that the notch of the lock fits well below the front part of the cabinet while allowing enough space for the adult to push down and pull the door open.
- With your hand still holding the lock in place, mark the screw holes with your pencil. The screws secure your lock unto the cabinet.
- Using your screwdriver, tighten the screw of the lock. Without yet finishing all the screws, test if the lock latches well to avoid unscrewing everything, should changes need to be made. You may also use a shallow drill to help get the screws started.
- After securing all the screws, test the lock once more, and if it works, then your task is done!
With these easy-to-install cabinet locks in place, there’s no chance for those kids to get hold of items they’re not supposed to get their tiny hands-on, making your home safe for your kids. If you have the best-fitting locks, you can regain your peace of mind even when your child is running all over your home. But while we've given you some tips on how to add lock to cabinet, it is still recommended to check the products manual or user guide for a more definitive and step-by-step guide. Find out more about Cabinet Locks.