How Long Should A Safe Be Fireproof – A Brief Guide
A safe is where you put important things or documents to make sure no one will steal it. Mostly this equipment is rectangular in form and place in an area that is less accessible to others but only by the owner. But no matter how we want things to be safe, there are still inevitable circumstances that can damage the things we protected, like fire. Though there are safes that can withstand fire for a certain length of time, how long should a safe be fireproof?
Fireproof Safes: Are they Really Fireproof?
The term fireproof is used to describe things that can withstand fire. This is basically the concept of fireproof safes. However, when companies sell safes that are claimed to be fireproof, they actually mean they are fire-resistant. They can withstand fire or heat, but only for a certain period of time.
Safes are made of thick steel, and this material is likely to deteriorate under elevated temperatures. So, how long should a safe be fireproof? When steel is exposed to fire, it gradually reduces its strength and stiffness. And in the high temperature, it will slightly weaken its structure. So, when documents or any other object you put on a safety box will be safe only for an hour and may be damaged if the heat continues to elevate.
How Fireproof Safes are made
There are different types of safes available in the market today. Each of them is created for a certain purpose and with different materials. But the most common is the fireproof safes. So, how long should a safe be fireproof? Based on the test conducted by the manufacturers, safes can resist fire in a span of 1 hour. This type of safes is structured using certain materials to be able to resist fire or heat.
To make fire-resistant safes, materials should be incombustible and non-conductor of heat. This is why manufacturers of safes choose steel as they do not burn when exposed to fire. However, they are conductors of heat, so they need to put heat insolation materials between the inner and the outer lining to bring balance to the overall structure of the unit. The most common insulation materials are gypsum, perlite, and vermiculite.
How long should a safe be fireproof? The fireproof or fire-resistant safes are tested and must pass a certain standard of durability to make sure they are useful, especially in protecting documents in case of an unexpected blaze. Fire safes are claimed to withstand heat for hours. So, the fire-resistant safes must be reliable in keeping essential documents from damage brought by heat and smoke.
Things You Need to Know Before Buying Fire-resistant Safes
- Fireproof safes or fire-resistant safes do not protect your stuff from thieves. If your safe is handy, you have to make sure they are not accessible to anyone, somewhere hidden that no burglars could think that safes exist.
- If you want to be specific about buying fire-resistant safes, you might want to list down the things that you intend to keep inside the safe. This will help you narrow down your requirements for the right safes, like bigger documents to bigger safes.
- Take note that not all fire-resistant safes ca handle electronics. There is temperature difference inside and outside the safe, so if you intend to keep flash drives or CDs on it, it might result in data loss. Make sure to check on the specifications first.
- High-quality fire-resistant safes must pass the UL or US rating. Which means they are tested and proven to have met the set standard, that will certainly resist fire or heat.
- Decide whether you want a digital lock or mechanical lock. This is important, especially when it matters if you want your things to be safe from both burglars and fire. Mechanical locks are the traditional safe locks that require experts to unlock. Electronic locks are digital locks which work on batteries, so it needs to be charge from time to time.
Check out the guys from Safebox Mart if you want to Buy Safe Box in Singapore.
Types of Locking Devices for Safes
Fire safes should not only protect your stuff against fire but also from people who are not authorized to open it. So, choose the right locking system to help you secure the things you keep inside.
The traditional way of safes locking system is still effective. You are usually given two keys, and persons who have access to it are only limited to two people. This often used for safes in homes and businesses.
The combination lock system has been the number one locking system for safes. This is when you need to choose up to 6 numbers to be combined as a lock.
The biometric lock is more advanced in terms of technology. In this locking system, you can either register your fingerprints or apply the iris recognition method.
Electronic locks are powered by batteries, which can be found either inside or outside the safe. With this type of locking system, you need to nominate a passcode and register it to the safe's memory. This is often digital and easy to be accessed even in the dark.
You always want your essential things to be protected. And one way of protecting it is by placing it in a safety box. There are different types of safes, and one of these is safe that protects your stuff from fire. But how long should a safe be fireproof? Fireproof safes or fire-resistant safes are expected to protect your important belonging from fire for an hour or more. But you have to check on the specification, and the safes that you have to buy must have the recommended rating to make sure it serves the purpose. Find out more about Fireproofing Security Safes.
April 2, 2021
Have you tried losing the key to your safe? If yes, then that means you are one of the many who tried losing it. Please do not be anxious, since, in this article, I will discuss different methods on how to open a fireproof safe without key.