How Long Do Smart Light Bulbs Last?
Now that the world has become more digital, a lot of home appliances can be controlled digitally and wirelessly. Smart lighting is just one of these modern home innovations. This lighting system allows you to control lights in your home without having to access traditional wall switches. It’s easy, it’s stylish, and it adds an aesthetic touch to the household.
But how long do smart light bulbs last? Is maintaining a smart lighting system as easy as it is to operate them? We're going to tackle a few of these questions as we learn more about the smart lighting systems.
Knowing More About Smart Lighting Systems
The first question you should ask yourself is, why would I want a smart lighting system? Let’s start by weighing the benefits against valid concerns like how long do smart light bulbs last, and whether or not it is easy to find replacement bulbs.
Benefits of Smart Lighting Systems
These smart bulbs work efficiently for ease of use and better energy conservation. But those are just some of its benefits. These light bulbs work through Wi-Fi or through merely connecting to a Bluetooth device. Smart home assistants like Alexa and Google Assistant are also compatible with smart light bulbs. Let’s go through some of its key benefits:
- Energy Conservation – Smart light bulbs use LED (light-emitting diode) or CFL (compact fluorescent lamp) technology. Compared to their incandescent counterparts, they use very minimal electricity to light a room. As a result, they conserve more energy. Certified smart bulbs save 70% to 90% of energy compared to other bulbs.
- Security Features – A lot of smart light bulbs have additional security features like motion detection. Smart bulbs with these features can be positioned outdoors for security reasons.
- Fun Settings – Some smart light bulbs can change colors, and some have brightness settings. These settings can be set to a person’s aesthetic standards.
- Customized Light Settings – Smart light bulbs have pre-sets that you can set at specific levels for certain times. This feature is perfect for people with busy routines.
- Life Span – Maintenance-related concerns are essential to users. How often do I have to replace the bulbs? How long do smart light bulbs last? Smart light bulbs can last from 35,000 to 50,000 hours in continuous use, making smart light bulbs a great bargain.
Things to Know Before Installation
Smart light bulbs offer an attractive list of benefits, but there are a few things we need to remember before installing one at home. Smart bulbs are wirelessly operated. Before deciding to buy smart bulbs, plan on the operation method. You can access your smart bulbs even when you’re away from home through specific automation systems. Operating these smart bulbs entirely depends on the system you have put in place. Controlling lights remotely is one way of increasing their lifespan, and we won’t have to worry about how long do smart light bulbs last.
- Bluetooth – If you choose to operate your smart light bulbs with Bluetooth, you can only control it if you are close or around the Bluetooth range. If you stay too far, you will not be able to operate the smart bulbs.
- Wi-Fi – Operating smart light bulbs through a Wi-Fi network is the more popular choice since most modern households have Wi-Fi installed. The tricky part, however, is that it will rely on Wi-Fi bandwidth. If there are a lot of people connected to Wi-Fi, a smart bulb’s performance will be affected. If the network connection is suddenly disrupted, smart bulbs will also lose their functionality.
With that being said, is it possible to use a manual switch for a smart bulb? It is possible, but your switch must remain on the whole time, so the bulb is powered up continuously when you need to access it with the app.
How to Install Smart Light Bulbs
A Wi-Fi enabled smart-bulb comes in different brands. You can download the app for the specific brand of smart light bulb you plan to purchase and start from there:
- Download the app for your smart bulb and create an account on the app.
- Add the app from the list of devices.
- Be sure your phone or tablet is connected to your home's wireless network.
- Screw-in the bulb-like how you would with any other standard bulb and wait for the indication that you're in pairing mode.
- Enter your Wi-Fi network's name and password.
- Connect to the smart bulb app through settings in your Wi-Fi.
- Access the app. By this time, the bulb will have already connected automatically.
When you're done, you're good to go! You finally have a smart bulb installed at home. If an app requests that you create a unique name for the light, rename it and start setting up custom features on your light. You can also connect your smart bulb(s) to home automation devices like Alexa or Google Assistant.
Other Smart Bulb Uses
Smart bulbs are not only practical, but smart light bulbs complement modern lifestyles very well.
- There are smart light bulbs with speakers that can sync with the beat and rhythm of the music if you love music. It can turn a dull room party-ready with a simple voice command.
- You can control these settings with a smart bulb if you need to dim lighting in the home for movies or soften the lighting during dinner. Smart bulbs offer many ways to create ambient lighting for your home.
- Sleep quality is affected by the lighting we use. Smart light bulbs can turn into warm colors, so it does not affect your circadian rhythm.
Before we purchase any home appliance, we always consider long term maintenance. In this article, we discussed how long do smart light bulbs last, its maintenance, and operation.
Now that we understand smart light bulbs are easy to use, easy to maintain, and can last quite long, choosing to use smart lighting systems in your home should be a practical choice. Plus, with all the cool features, it's definitely a good bargain.
July 21, 2020
Given the technology, the way it is today, it is amazing how most things turn “smart” – phones, television, coffee makers, and even the entire home.