DIY Security Systems
You need high-quality cameras that watch over areas around our house when you are not around for your security. One of the most convenient type of security cameras is a wireless security camera, as it is easy to install. You no longer have to worry about the placement of the wires, but you need to worry about its battery. How long do batteries last on wireless security cameras? It will always depend on the features and the type of battery that your wireless camera has.
What are the Other Power Source of Wireless Cameras?
A wireless security camera gets its energy from a battery or a solar panel. The difference between a battery and a solar panel is its ability to store and release energy to the camera. A battery can store and release energy that is compatible with the voltage of your security camera. Some batteries are disposable, and some are rechargeable. Also, choosing the right size that will fit your security camera is ideal. It is to make sure that your camera will get the best out of the battery. But how long do batteries last on wireless security cameras? If the camera is well taken care of, the battery can last from one to three years.
As for the solar panel, it gathers its energy from the sun and stores it in a powerbox so that it can regulate the amount of energy it can deliver to your camera. It will also serve as a power box for the evening. Also, a solar panel can last up to 8hrs after sundown and can still give energy to your wireless security camera.
Factors that Drain the Battery
Before learning how long do batteries last on wireless security cameras, you should also know the factors that cause battery power drainage. It is for you to prevent your unwanted battery malfunction, and at the same time, preserve the quality of your camera. Here are the factors to why a wireless security battery is draining fast:
- Exposed to extreme temperatures – Battery exposure to extreme temperatures may lose its capability to give energy supply to your camera. If the battery is under extreme heat, the cells inside will rapidly move, which causes it to drain. Also, when the battery is under colder temperature, the cells inside will be inactive – it needs to exert more effort once you need your camera to run, and this results in power drainage.
- Low-light environment – When your camera is in a low-light environment, it will require your camera to work extra to pick up signals.
- Extra work on motion sensors – If you place the camera where there’s a lot of traffic, the motion sensors will always keep on notifying or snapping photos. Also, when the adjustments settings are not correct, it will still detect false movements.
- Prolonged live-viewing – Wireless cameras have remote viewing so that it will be easier for you to monitor what is going on. Whenever you continuously use the remote display or live viewing feature, it will cause battery drainage.
- HD quality recording – When the camera has HD quality videos, it requires a lot of energy for it to record. It will also require to use a lot of energy from the battery for its effort in recording high-quality videos.
How to Extend Battery Life For Wireless Security Cameras
If you want to know how long do batteries last on wireless security cameras, you must know the tricks to prevent it from draining. The factors mentioned above are the reasons why batteries drain fast. As part of your home security, you would want to extend the life of the battery of your wireless security camera. Here are some tips that you can do:
- Use the latest firmware – Constantly updating the apps can help extend the battery life of a security camera because the indicator will be up to date.
- Adjust the resolution – Instead of using “clear resolution,” use the “fluent resolution” feature so that the battery will not drain quickly. There is only a small difference between the two resolutions. The “clear resolution” will give you a crisp video quality, and as for the “fluent resolution,” it can still give you clear video quality but not as clear as “clear resolution.”
- Schedule the recording – Having a fixed or assigned schedule on your wireless security camera can help save battery life. If it runs for 24hrs, the battery will drain quickly.
- Motion sensor zone – Set the motion sensor zone to a specific area so that it will not have any false detection. Also, be sure to set up the motion sensors’ aim away from anything shiny or bright. It is the reason to inactivate the motion detectors.
- Place the camera in a well-lit area – If you place the camera in a well-lit area (avoid direct contact with the sun), the camera will no longer have to use much of its night vision feature.
- Install wifi-extender – A wifi extender can help your camera upload the videos and pictures that it recorded. It will also be easier for you to monitor remotely what the camera has.
If you want to know how long do batteries last on wireless security cameras, you should know the factors affecting its drainage. It will be easier for you to find a way to prolong the battery life and use the camera without replacing its batteries. Every camera has its specific voltage, and this requires a battery with the same voltage for the camera to work. Whether you are using a solar panel or a battery, make sure that everything is compatible so that it can last for a while. Know more about Security Cameras.