How Does Alarm Motion Sensors Work: A Quick Guide
Alarm systems are effective devices set in place to protect homes and other structures. These are often small devices, but their value is considerably greater because of their function. Alarms alert owners of any suspicious activities happening in the area. But how do alarm motion sensors work?
Motion sensors are a device that uses a particular type of technology to detect motion in your home or office. It either uses microwave, acoustic, or optical sensor systems. Once activated, the system picks up movement and alerts the homeowner of a security breach.
How Are Alarm Motion Sensors Triggered?
Knowing how alarm motion sensors work depends on the type of motion detection purchased. There are two basic types of systems, and these are active sensors or passive sensors. Active sensors use ultrasonic sound waves, while passive sensors use infrared energy.
- Active Motion Sensors - These are also called radar-based motion detectors. They emit ultrasonic sound waves, and these very same waves get reflected in the device. If the emissions get disrupted by any movement in its way, it sends a signal that sounds the alarm.
- Passive Motion Sensors - These are popular in homes. They work differently or reverse of an active system. They detect infrared energy that is given off by people or pets. If the device detects any amount of heat, the alarm is then raised.
What Happens When A Motion Sensor Is Triggered?
Depending on the type of alarm system you purchased, the basic alarm’s usual reaction after the device detects movement is to raise a very high pitched and loud sound. To be alerted, you have to be within the vicinity to hear the alarm and to turn it off.
But there are silent alarm systems as well. How do alarm motion sensors work? They are often part of a professionally maintained monitoring security system. The monitoring agency will be alerted of the detection and will send help to your home or office space even if you aren’t around. You will also be informed of the signal being triggered. There are also smart silent alarms that are not connected to a monitoring center. These send alerts to your mobile phone when movement is detected. Then it is up to you to decide whether you need to call the police or ask a neighbor to check on your home.
Where To Place Motion Detectors?
After figuring out how do alarm motion sensors work, you will need to find the most effective place for them in your home or building. They are usually small and not as easily detectable. Here are the best places to put them:
- Motion sensor alarms can be placed at vulnerable points. Find the corners of a room that cover the most area. The corner of a room can give a good view of your entryways and can detect changes in the area.
- Install them high on walls. The height will offer the best coverage. Avoid putting it on top or over a large piece of furniture.
- Install the alarms opposite the room or a hallway’s entrance so it can easily detect movement.
- DO NOT place them near a door or window as these can block their range.
How To Prevent False Alarms?
Alarm systems can only function well when they are installed and maintained properly. And because these devices are sensitive, they need to be properly placed in designated locations. Make sure to consider these things when you are deciding where to place the motion sensors to prevent false alarms:
- Pets shouldn’t be left unsupervised. Most alarm systems ignore anything under two and a half feet or 85 lbs. Motion detectors would need to be calibrated as pets can set off the alarms.
- Small children shouldn’t be left unsupervised as well. Alarms can prevent your children from getting into “no go” areas such as the basement or the garage.
- Make sure to check the batteries regularly.
- Avoid rustling drapes or plants that are blown by electric fans, air conditioners or heaters.
- Avoid installing motion sensors near ceiling fans and other objects that move.
Why Do We Need Motion Sensor Alarms?
Motion sensors are easy to install anywhere. They can be installed at different vulnerable points of your home or office. With these in place, they can help you sleep safely and securely. Compared to video surveillance systems, they aren’t as detectable because they are small. Any intruder will find it most difficult to disable or locate them.
Remember, a motion sensor’s job is to detect once an intruder has entered. That’s why these should be placed in the most important areas. If you are planning to install a loud alarm, the sound may not always be enough to ward off intruders, but it can spook them and can flee once they have been detected.
Lastly, never leave your door unlocked. Precautionary measures should still be practiced at home. Motion sensors are alarm systems and not a defense system. One sensor can cover an entire room. It doesn’t matter how the intruder enters the area at that point. Once he passes within the range, he’s immediately detected. At that point, you will need to call the police, or your monitoring agency has already been alerted. Learn more about Alarm Motion Sensors.
Crime rates continue to go up every year, and you will need to find modern ways to protect your home. As you are building a modern and comprehensive alarm system in place, you will need to install a reliable motion detection system so you can have that peace of mind.
Knowing how do alarm motion sensors work can greatly benefit your home or business space. Install them in your hallways, living rooms, bedrooms, and offices. This is for your own protection, your property, and your loved ones. You can sleep soundly knowing you have set alarms in place to alert you of any movement.
October 5, 2020
Outdoor security cameras are a significant investment in protecting your family and property, especially at night or when you are not around.