Fire is the last thing we want to happen in our lives. It causes a lot of damage, and it might even cost a life. There are a lot of reasons why fire can occur and a lot of things in our home that are potential fire danger. For example, if you own a gas range at home, then it can be considered a risk. And this is why we should do everything to protect ourselves just in case it happens. There are many things that can help us in an event of a fire, such as fire extinguishers, smoke detectors and fire alarms. Another thing that we can have to help ourselves and our family from fire is a fire escape ladder. But are fire escape ladders safe for the entire family? There are a lot of questions revolving around having a fire escape ladder because of its safety features. In this article, I will discuss the different kinds of ladders for your ta have an idea of what you’ll get for your home.
How Safe are Fire Escape Ladders?
You’ve seen a painter fixing a tall wall with the help of a ladder – they’re comfortable standing still while doing their job. Seeing that, you can say that that ladders works. But in the event of a fire, you can never tell how safe the ladder is once you are already in the scene. The only thing you need to do is to ensure that the ladder is safe and durable, and is the right kind of stable ladder that can support whoever is using it.
A safe fire escape ladder is made with high-quality materials to ensure the person’s safety. It should also pass different kinds of quality tests before it is released to the market. For you to know if the fire escape ladder is safe, research, and read reviews. This will also help you judge if the ladder is worth the buy or not.
Types Of Fire Escape Ladders
There are fire escape ladders safe to use in any situation. But before purchasing a ladder, you should know the different types of ladders so that it will be easier for you to visualize where to store or install it. Every ladder has a different purpose. And this is why you should get to know what they are.
- Baby Ladder. A baby ladder is a small ladder that is usually on ladder trucks or engine companies. Its primary purpose is to reach the second floor in a building. It is also a cross-over ladder between two buildings where people can place it between windows or roofs, given that the premises are close to each other.
- Roof Ladder. A roof ladder is the conventional escape ladder used by many homeowners and establishments. It is because of its stable foot, and long reach, which is ideal for an easy escape in case of an emergency.
- Folding Ladder. The folding ladder comes in different sizes, but usually only 10ft high. It can’t be extended because of its folding feature. But the good thing about this ladder is that it can be stored wherever it’s compatible.
- Rolling Ladder. A rolling ladder is made of steel for the footstep and wire or chains for the connectivity. For you to use this ladder, you need to toss it out of the window and mount the support on the window to keep the ladder stabilized. This kind of fire escape ladder is also commonly used in helicopter rescue because it can be stored in a small space.
- Extension ladder. An extension ladder is similar to the roof ladder. But it can be extended up to 24ft depending on the height and size that you will choose.
How To Choose A Fire Escape Ladder For Your Home
There are things that you need to consider before buying a fire escape ladder. Not all ladders come at the same shape, size, and price. Here are the following things that you need to know when choosing a fire escape ladder for your home.
- Price. Ladders come in different sizes, and the price will always depend on what kind of ladder it is and it’s quality. You will need to look for a durable ladder that can resist the heat from the fire. A quality ladder is not cheap. However, investing in a ladder that will surely serve its purpose is better than getting a cheap one.
- Length. The length of the ladder must be almost 30 ft so that it can surely cover two floors.
- Strength. An excellent quality fire escape ladder should carry up to 1,000 lbs. This weight will be enough to carry anyone in your family without questioning their safety when they are climbing down the ladder.
- Ease of usage. There are fire escape ladders that are safe to use and easy to store in any storage area. This is what you should look for when buying one. Purchase a fire escape ladder that everyone in the family can use and easily access.
- Anti-slipping feature. The footstep of a ladder should have an anti-slip surface to avoid accidents. This anti-slip feature is usually made of sandpaper, which is known to give a good grip on any surface.
- Heat Resistance. Are fire escape ladders safe? When purchasing a ladder, inspect all areas and make sure that every material that is on the ladder is heat resistant. This will assure you that the fire escape ladder that you’re going to buy is safe to use. Some ladders have rubber or plastic on it, which makes it more flammable and dangerous.
- Storage and Reusability . Fire escape ladders should be stored in an accessible area to make it easier for you to use in the event of a fire. Also, a durable fire escape ladder should be versatile. It can be used for different purposes other than escaping a fire.
If you are wondering, “are fire escape ladders safe?”, you need to test out the ladder that you are planning to buy and check its quality. Fire escape ladders can be purchased in different home safety stores. There are even some that are sold in hardware stores since ladders are also used in home construction. Be sure that the ladder that you will purchase pass the standards of a fire escape ladder. This is to make sure that it is safe to use for everyone in case of fire emergencies. Find out more about Fire Escape Ladders.